Crackling fires, fluffy sweaters and a cup of warm tea can make your winters amazing. But what about a cough. This will just spoil your happiness. A cough is a common health problem which happens when there is an irritant in the upper air passages. The brain signals your body to cough to remove that irritant. A cough could be a result of viral infection or health problems such as asthma. A cough is not life-threatening, but for sure, you can’t leave it without treating. In this article, you will discover some best natural remedies for cough.
Best Natural Remedies for Cough
1.) Ginger for Cough:
This is among the most amazing natural remedies for cough. You must have heard people saying that have a chunk of ginger to relieve a sore throat. But do you know what kind of ginger is used? There are 3 varieties of ginger, the big ginger, the small ginger and the red ginger. Mostly red ginger is used for medicinal purposes. The reason for it is the bitter taste and pungent odor. Red ginger is an antitoxin with anti-fungal properties due to which you get relief from a cough. Nowadays throat lozenges that are available in the market contain ginger to treat cold and cough.
Steps to Use Ginger:
- Cut a fresh ginger into small chunks.
- Add them in a cup of water.
- Boil the water for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain the water and have a sip of this herbal tea.
- You can also add lemon juice or honey.
- Drink this liquid 3 to 4 times a day to cure a sore throat.
- Alternatively, Suck a piece of ginger throughout the day.
2.) Bromelain to Get Rid of Cough:
This natural enzyme eases a cough by reducing the inflammation in the respiratory tract and the lungs. This fights the infection that is responsible for a cough. You can find this natural enzyme in bromelain. You can also buy bromelain capsules from the health food stores.
3.) Brandy to Treat Cough:
You must have heard people saying that alcohol is bad for health. But let me remind you that if it is taken in small amounts it is the best thing for your health. It has been used as a cough remedy for generations. Now let us understand how alcohol works to cure a cough. When you drink brandy your throats get a little numb and your esophagus relaxes. The post nasal drip induces coughing is reduced. The signals from your brain are slowed down due to which you feel calm. Try this amazing remedy to soothe your cough in just a few minutes.
4.) Honey for Cough:
Honey is low-cost and widely available in the market. It contains a combination of elements which makes it one of the effective natural remedies for cough. Honey contains antimicrobial properties and soothes the throat by coating the mucous membrane. It easily sticks to the throat due to its high viscosity. The best part is that honey does not have a sour taste. Children below 2 years should not be given honey as they have a risk of botulism.
Steps to Use Honey:
- Boil a glass of milk.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this warm milk to get relief from congestion.
- You can also eat 2 to 3 teaspoons of raw honey to control coughing.
5.) Oregano to Get Rid of Cough:
This natural medicine is known for healing many ailments such as a cough, digestive issues, and aches. This is among the best natural remedies for cough. Oregano has the presence of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties help to treat respiratory infections such as a cough and cold.
Steps to Make Oregano Syrup:
Follow the steps given below:
- Boil 2 cloves of garlic and 3 sprigs of fresh oregano. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Wait for the mixture to cool down.
- Mix a half cup of honey
- Have one tablespoon of this syrup several times a day.
- With the help of a mortar, crush a ½ cup of dried oregano.
- Place ½ cup of warm oil in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Pour this warm oil on the crushed oregano.
- Keep this oil in an air tight jar.
6.) Licorice Root Tea to Cure Cough:
The anti-depressant compounds of licorice root tea make it one of the best natural remedies for cough. It helps by loosening the thin mucus in the respiratory tract. Thus, it is a good choice for getting relief from congestion and coughing. It relaxes the bronchial spasms and soothes the throat soreness. Licorice root is a good choice to get rid of chest infection, asthma, and cough. It protects the delicate tissues by coating the throat with a thin film of mucilage. It is a good choice to bring up phlegm.
Steps to Use Licorice Root:
- In a cup of boiling water, add licorice root.
- Cover the cup with a lid.
- Allow it to be immersed in water for a few minutes.
- Drink licorice root tea 2 to 3 times a day for encouraging results.
7.) Thyme for Cough:
This herb from the mint family has gained a reputation for its medicinal qualities. The oil of the thyme leaves helps to treat a cough and sore throat. According to a study, thyme has bronchodilatory and relaxant effects. The expectorant properties of thyme make it a wonderful remedy for easing congestion. This is one of the best natural remedies for cough. It is a good choice to relieve chest and respiratory disorders. It helps the body to get rid of accumulated mucus.
Steps to Use Thyme:
- Use a pestle to lightly crush the thyme.
- Keep the thyme in a mug.
- Add boiling water in the mug. Make sure that the thyme is immersed completely.
- Let it steep for a for about 20 minutes.
- Mix honey or lemon juice to make it tasty.
- Drink this thyme tea before sleeping.
8.) Lemon to Get Rid of Cough:
This is among the top natural remedies for cough. The vitamin C content of honey makes it a good choice to get rid of a cough. Vitamin C is known for strengthening the immune system. When you are strong from inside you will get well soon. It minimizes the inflammation and soothes a sore throat.
Steps to Use Lemon:
- Add one tablespoon of honey and 3 tablespoons of lime juice.
- Swill this syrup 3 to 4 times a day.
- Blend a lemon and add a pinch of cayenne pepper and honey.
- Quaff this slowly to get relief.
9.) Turmeric to Cure Cough:
Turmeric is often used as an Ayurvedic medicine. This Indian spice is full of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric soothes a sore throat and is good for a dry cough. All these qualities of turmeric make it one of the top natural remedies for cough. It has a therapeutic effect on dry coughs.
Steps to Use Turmeric:
Follow the steps given below:
- Boil a half cup of water.
- Add one teaspoon of black pepper and one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You can also include some cinnamon sticks.
- Soak it for a few minutes.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and have a sip to improve your condition.
- Roast turmeric in a pan.
- Grind the roasted turmeric to make a fine powder.
- Mix this powder in a glass of water and add honey.
- Drink this regularly to get relief from a sore throat.
- In a cup of water, add one teaspoon of carom seeds.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in it.
- Continue boiling water until it reduced to ½ cup.
- Have a sip of this herbal solution to treat a cough.
10.) Steam to Treat Cough:
This amazing remedy has no time barrier. You can do this at any time of the day. The best part is that it does have any side effects or any kind of allergy. This a cost-efficient way to treat a cough. Now let us understand how steam helps in a cough. When you inhale steam the mucous and phlegm are melted. This improves your condition. You can also add drops of essential oil in the boiling water. Eucalyptus oil is a good choice as it has anti-inflammatory and anti-viral characteristics.