We all experience diarrhea at some point in time. Diarrhea happens when our the digestive system does not function properly, results in frequent watery stools, three or more times a day. The main reasons of diarrhea are viral bacterial infections, infections, consumption of populated food and water, food intolerance, anxiety, and intestinal diseases like sore bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis. This article is filled with the home remedies for diarrhea.
Causes of Diarrhea:
- A viral infection.
- A bacterial infection.
- Food poisoning.
- Contaminated water.
- Certain kinds of surgery.
- Certain gastrointestinal diseases.
Food Allergy– There are many occasions when people eat food items that are not accepted by your body. The body’s habit then is to release the food products as much as possible and causes diarrhea.
Polluted Water– Have gotten diarrhea from drinking the water in a new place? But the water does not need to be polluted to cause diarrhea. It just has to be foreign and it can already make stools become a bit loose.
Intestinal Diseases– Many people are suffering from different types of intestinal diseases right now. One of the most common ones is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Having an intestinal disease can result in diarrhea quite often.
Symptoms of Diarrhea:
- Abdominal pain.
- Watery stools.
Top Home Remedies for Diarrhea
1. Avoid Certain Foods to Avoid Diarrhea
Keep an eye on your daily diet or food you are eating or drinking is very important when you are suffering from diarrhea. Dehydration from diarrhea can be harmful to all ages. The important thing you can do is to keep hydrated is avoid some food that can cause or worsen diarrhea.
Greasy and fried foods, as well as dairy products. Alcohol, soda, milk, and other caffeinated or carbonated drinks may make it worse. Decrease bloating by avoiding fruits and vegetables that can cause gas, such as broccoli, peas, prunes, beans, corn, chickpeas, peppers.
2. Coconut Water For Diarrhea
Diarrhea usually lead to dehydration. In that condition, coconut water is one of the excellent home remedies for diarrhea. It is rich in electrolytes and minerals that recharge the body fluids . It also boosts the blood circulation and helps you recuperate from diarrhea quickly.
- Drink this for a few days to treat the dehydration caused by diarrhea.
- Drink a glass of coconut water twice a day.
3. Orange to Cure Diarrhea
Drinking plenty of orange tea will keep you hydrated. This is an effective remedy on its own for diarrhea. Orange peel is rich in pectin. It is a type of carbohydrate which increases the good bacteria in your large intestine. Hence, they maintain a healthy intestinal system.
- 2 tablespoons orange peels (chopped)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Add the chopped orange peels into the hot boiling water and let it cool.
- Drink this tea with a pinch of lemon and honey.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Diarrhea
Apple cider vinegar is also one of the best home remedies for diarrhea. ACV balances the pH in your stomach. It also eliminates the harmful bacteria in your intestines that are the reason for diarrhea.
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- One glass water
- Mix the Apple Cider Vinegar and water and drink it.
- Drink this once or twice a day until you get relief from diarrhea.
5. Eat Banana for Diarrhea
Bananas are also rich in pectin which helps in absorbing the liquid in your intestines. By doing so it makes your stools less watery. They are also rich in potassium. Banana can help replace the electrolytes which your body loses due to the frequent inside movements.
- 1 banana
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon tamarind juice
- Mash the banana and add a pinch of salt and tamarind to it.
- Mix well and eat this.
- You can also eat two bananas with your breakfast.
6. Oatmeal to Treat Diarrhea
Oatmeal is a good food to start with when your body is recovering from diarrhea. It is able to hold down liquids. It is rich in soluble fiber which prevents water loss from the body.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Add the buttermilk to the oatmeal and consume it.
- You can have oatmeal up to twice a day.
7. Yogurt as a Home Remedy for Diarrhea
Yogurt is a probiotic contains healthy bacteria, named as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium. These good bacteria enter your digestive tract and remove the harmful bacteria. Thus, yogurt replaces the balance in your intestines and gives comfort from diarrhea.
- Have two bowls of yogurt in a day.
- Repeat until the symptoms of diarrhea is not cured
8. Pumpkin- One of the Best Home Remedies for Diarrhea
Pumpkin is also one of the effective home remedies for diarrhea. The soluble fibers present in pumpkin will help harden the stool. Pumpkin also has higher levels of potassium and eating it will replenish the body fluids with electrolytes
- Have a cup of pumpkin twice a day.
- Consume this for two to three days to get relief from diarrhea.
9. Ginger- One of the Best Home Remedies for Diarrhea
Ginger is a magic ingredient for almost every problem in many ways. Consuming ginger triggers the digestive system and area off infections.
- 1 tbs ginger powder
- cumin powder- 1tbs
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- A glass of water
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass of water and drink it.
- or make the ginger tea to ease diarrhea cramps.
- Consuming this at least thrice a day to feel better.
10. Rice Water to Treat Diarrhea
This also one of the easy and simple home remedies for diarrhea. The starch present in the rice water maintains fluids and electrolytes in the body, therefore preventing dehydration. Rice water also helps in relieving and alleviating the intestinal inflammation which may be caused due to diarrhea, especially in newborn and young children.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3 cups water
- Add the rice to the water and bring it to a boil.
- Now cook the rice on low heat for about 30-40 minutes.
- To get rice water, strain it into a bowl.
- Drink this water whole day and store in the refrigerator.
11. Soy Milk- One of the Best Home Remedies for Diarrhea
When you are suffering from diarrhea, the body find it hard to digest milk and other dairy products. Consuming soy milk is recommended as it is light on the digestive system. It is also effective for the body in maintaining the digestive system and bone health.
12. Green Tea to Cure Diarrhea
Green tea contains numerous antioxidants that control and maintain healthy working of the body. It eases an upset stomach and helps in curing diarrhea and its symptoms. If dehydration is because of Helicobacter pylori infection, then green tea is one of the best home remedies for diarrhea. The catechins found in green tea have an inhibitory effect on bacteria
- 1 green tea bag.
- 1 cup hot water.
- Steep the tea bag in the water for a few minutes.
- Drink the tea while it is warm.
- You can add a dash of honey or lemon according to your taste.
- Drink at least two to three cups in a day.
13. Olive Oil- One of the Effective Home Remedies for Diarrhea
It is proven that the olive oil is an effective remedy to cure diarrhea. Oleic acid found in olive oil slow down the digestion process and reduce diarrhea. It activates some mechanisms in the small intestine which will also stop the symptoms of diarrhea.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Take a tablespoon of olive oil on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Take another tablespoon during the day, before your mealtime.
- Repeat this for a few days.
14. Jello Water to Cure Diarrhea
Both kids and adults will love this home remedy for diarrhea. The gelatin in the jello will stop the stools and hence cures diarrhea. It also rehydrates the body. The tannin present release antibacterial and astringent effects in the digestive system.
- Jello powder
- 2 cups water
- Make the jello as instructed on the packet.
- Mix this with water and drink before it sets.
- Drinking this for a day or two until get relief from diarrhea.
15. Peanut Butter- One of the Best Home Remedies for Diarrhea
Like jello water, peanut butter is also a tasty and effective home remedies for diarrhea. Doctors also advise that adding the peanut butter to your diet when you are suffering from diarrhea. Simply take some bread, apply peanut butter on them, and eat it for breakfast or a snack.