In this article, we will be discussing some basic home remedies for earache. But let’s first know the various causes of Earache. An earache is a more common problem among children than in adults. This pain is both constant and recurring in nature. Some patients have even complained of a burning sensation in the ear along with pain which affects either both the ears or only one of them.
What Causes An Earache?
Earache has a variety of causes depending upon the circumstances and the patient’s health. Some common reasons for an earache are as follows:
- Building up of fluid inside the eardrum known as Glue Ear. This problem is most often in children.
- Tonsils or throat infections are also a reason of an earache.
- A boil caused due to an infected hair follicle inside the ear canal can also lead to an earache.
- A toothache can also cause an earache.
- Pain in the facial nerves also sometimes leads to an earache.
- Eczema infection inside the ear (Seborrhoeic Dermatitis).
- Children have the habit of poking sharp and pointed objects in the ear, this can also cause injury inside the ear canal.
- Sometimes ear wax also causes blockage in the ear.
Signs And Symptoms of Earache:
The shooting pain caused in the ear can sometimes be a problem for babies and children. The symptoms of which includes the following:
- Babies get irritated and cry too often.
- A cough and runny nose is also a symptom.
- High fever can also occur due to pain in the ear.
- Loss of appetite is the most common sign in children and babies.
- Sleep deprived.
- Difficulty in hearing.
*In such cases one should immediately consult a doctor before things worsen.
Home Remedies for Earache Treatment
1.) Garlic Helps Reduce Pain
Garlic contains antibiotic and analgesic properties in it that help reduce pain in the ear. This makes it one of the best among all other home remedies for earache.
- Add minced pieces of a few garlic cloves to 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Heat the mixture in a wok and then strain it separating the bits of garlic from the oil.
- Now use this as an ear drop, putting 2-3 drops of it in the ear before going to sleep.
- Another DIY is to juice up the garlic cloves and use it as ear drops for the infected ear.
- You can extract the juice by simply grating the gloves and squeezing them off.
2.) Onion Has Antiseptic Properties
Onions have antibacterial and antiseptic properties, adding to its health benefits. Also, it is the most easily available ingredient in the house, this makes it a proven remedy among all other effective home remedies for earache.
- Extract the juice from grated onions by simply squeezing them.
- Use the juice as an ear drop (2-3 drops per ear) several times a day to get relief from pain and infection.
- Also, you can grate an onion and wrap it tightly in a cloth. Place this on the affected ear for about 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure several times a day.
3.) Olive Oil is a Pain Relief
Olive oil acts as a pain relief as it helps in lubricating the ear and helps get rid of the infection. It also helps in soothing the constant buzzing sensation in the ear.
- Adding 2-3 drops of lukewarm olive oil in the ear helps soothe the pain.
- You can also soak a cotton bud in lukewarm olive oil and place it firmly at the entrance of the ear canal.
- You can also use Mustard Oil with the same procedure if Olive oil is not available.
4.) Ginger Helps to Treat Earache
Ginger has some strong anti-inflammatory properties and is also a proven natural painkiller that makes it one of the effective home remedies for earache treatment.
- Extract the juice from freshly grated ginger or you can also use a juicer if possible.
- Use this as an ear drop to get relief from pain and infection.
- You can also mix a few drops of ginger juice with olive oil and then heat the mixture.
- You can also use crushed ginger in place of the juice, then let it sit for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Use it as an ear drop for the infected or aching ear.
5.) Peppermint Soothes Pain
Peppermint as a fresh herb or an essential oil is used to soothe the pain and is the among all other effective remedies for earache infection and its treatment.
- Extract the juice from fresh peppermint leaves and use it as an ear drop.
- Soak the cotton ball with the peppermint juice or the essential oil and apply it all around the entrance of the aching ear. Do not let the oil get inside the ear.
- You can also dilute peppermint oil with some other base oil like Olive Oil.
6.) Lilac Has Antifungal Properties
Lilac has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Adding to its health benefits it also has anti-inflammatory properties that make it one of the effective home remedies for earache.
- Extract the juice of Lilac leaves and use it as an ear drop for the aching ear.
- Cotton balls soaked in the Lilac essential oil can be placed at the entrance of the ear canal.
- Leave for a few minutes and discard.
- Repeat this procedure several times a day to ease the pain.
7.) Holy Basil an Antibacterial
Holi Basil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, making it one of the effective home remedies for earache treatment.
- Crush a few leaves and extract the juice.
- Use it as an ear drop.
- Put 3 to 4 drops of the basil juice in the infected ear.
- Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a day.
8.) Bishop’s Weed Cure Infection
It is another effective ingredient that is easily available in our homes and is also helpful in soothing the earache. It has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that also help to cure the infection.
- Mix Bishop’s weed oil and sesame oil in the ratio of 1:3 and add lukewarm to it.
- Use it as an ear drop to ease the pain.
- Take two teaspoons of mustard oil and one and a half teaspoons of Bishop’s weed oil.
- Mix the oil mixture with minced garlic or garlic flakes.
- Heat the mixture in a wok and filter to get a clear solution and use it as an ear drop for the infected ear.
9.) Eucalyptus Oil and Steam for Earache
Eucalyptus oil is a natural painkiller for most of the aches, better known for its vapor effects. It helps in opening up the blocked passages where the pain occurs.
- Add Eucalyptus essential oil to a pot of steaming water.
- Place a towel over your head, lean your head over the pot.
- not letting the steam escape from any side.
- This will work up its way through your body and open up all the blocked passages.
10.) The Hair Dryer Therapy
- Heat from the hair dryer can help you soothe the pain in the ear.
- After taking a shower, do not dry your ear and leave them moist.
- Use a hair dryer to dry off the moisture.
- Leave the dryer at a warm temperature and hold it near the aching ear, not too close.
- Repeat this remedy at least for five minutes or even more and you will see the results.
11.) Wiggling Works
- Sometimes wiggling the ear by putting the finger inside and shaking or just simply yawning helps ease pain and infection. This proves effective in popping the Eustachian Tubes which tend to block sometimes thus causing pain and infection.
- This is the best home remedy of earache infection in children and babies because they do not let you touch the ear when in pain.
12.) OTC Treatments For Earache:
- The most common and immediate remedy is the prescribed medication. Painkillers like Paracetamol and Ibuprofen proves best in giving relief from pain and fever.
- Using a cold flannel for the ear can also help soothe the pain, but if the cause of pain is infection then you should avoid getting your ear wet. As it can make the infection worse.
- Ask a pharmacist to prescribe you some over the counter ear drops, but if you cannot get one, then Olive Oil can help to ease the pain.
- If your child is suffering from a recurrent earache, then your doctor will recommend you to use small tube called Grommets, that will help flush out the fluid from your ear that causes pain and infection.
What Will Happen If You Ignore An Earache?
If an earache or infection is left untreated, it can worsen to severe ear injuries or sometimes loss of hearing abilities.
- Severe ear injuries
- Facial Paralysis
- Burst or scarring of the ear drum
- Loss of hearing abilities
- Mastoids i.e. infection of the skull just behind the ear.
- Meningitis i.e.the infection caused in the tissues surrounding the brain or the spinal cord.
An ear is a part of the body that is to be taken proper care off otherwise, it can even worsen the situation causing loss of hearing ability or even more.