In this article, we will discuss a few home remedies for headaches, but, let’s first learn about a headache and its causes. The head is the most common site that is affected with pain as compared to the rest of your body. It can also be difficult to describe the symptoms of a headache, few of them are mentioned below:
The pain is either throbbing, squeezing, constant, recurring, unrelenting or intermittent. The location being either one part of the head, face or skull or is generalized to the whole of the head.
It can also be spontaneous in nature or sometimes associated with activities or other exercises. Often, headaches are often associated with vomiting or nausea. Especially migraine is a most common cause of headaches.
Headaches are Classified into Three Types:
1.) Primary Headache
These include tension, stress, migraine and cluster headaches.
2.) Secondary Headache
These are usually a symptom of any injury or an underlying illness. Sinuses headache are also considered as secondary headaches. This is because of the infection and increased pressure in the sinuses.
3.) Cranial Neuralgia, Facial Pain and Other Headaches
Headaches are considered as the pain that arises from the head or upper neck of the body. This pain originates from tissues and the structure surrounding the skull or the brain, as the brain has no nerves that give rise to the sensation of aches (pain fibers). The Periosteum (thin layer of tissue) that surrounds the bones, muscles that encase the skull, eyes, ears and sinuses as well as the thin layer that surfaces the brain and spinal cord (meninges), arteries, nerves and veins, all these can become inflamed and are the cause of headaches.
Natural Home Remedies for Headaches
1.) Cure it with Cayenne Pepper
This may not sound helpful but it surely works best among other effective home remedies for headaches. It is helpful to treat pain and inflammation. The secret behind its magical results lies in the Capsaicin ingredient present in Cayenne Pepper. Substance P is known as the main element that causes pain and Capsaicin help to deplete it.
- Dilute half a teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper in 4 ounces of lukewarm water to make a solution.
- Soak some cotton balls in the solution and stir it around to gather all the pepper particles on it.
- Apply this cotton ball to each of the nasal passage and let it stay until you feel the heat inside your nose.
- The burning sensation is the sign that the pepper is working.
2.) Snack on Nuts
Instead of popping in a painkiller, try to grab a handful of almonds and snack on them. For headaches that occur frequently due to tension, stress and anxiety, almonds are one of the best among other effective home remedies for headaches. It also relieves the pain as it contains Salicin, which is a popular ingredient in all painkillers. Snack on a handful of these nuts every time a headache triggers.
NOTE- People who suffer from Migraine may find the almonds as a trigger food.
3.) Fever Few Plant to Treat a Headache
Feverfew is an effective home remedy for headaches, particularly migraines. During a migraine headache, the blood vessels expand and put pressure on the nerves. Feverfew helps to relax the tension in blood vessels thus easing the pain. A substance called Parthenolide is present in feverfew which has similar effects of a painkiller medicine like Aspirin. All these benefits make feverfew an effective ingredient among all other effective home remedies for headaches.
- Add an ounce of dried or fresh feverfew flowers to a pint of boiling water.
- Steep the water for 10 minutes then strain it.
- Drink this water consuming half a cup, twice a day to get rid of a headache.
4.) An ACV Compress
Apple cider vinegar is an age-old remedy to cure headaches. People have sworn for its wonderful results in treating everything from hay fever to scurvy. All this makes it one of the best ingredient among all other effective home remedies for headaches. Always use the organic ACV that has the mother in it as it is the main ingredient that works up to treat the headaches or other medical condition.
- Pour a 1/4th cup of ACV into a large bowl and then fill it half way with boiling water.
- Place your head over the bowl and a towel over your head so that it drapes all over the bowl as well.
- Make sure that you are not too close to the bowl and the towel does not let the steam escape.
- Take the steam for about 5-10 minutes and take deep breaths while getting the steam.
- When done, pat dry your face with a towel and drink a glass of cold water.
5.) Consume Fish Oil to Cure a Headache
Fish oil can help to reduce headaches, especially migraines. This is because of the Omega 3 fatty acids present in fish oil. It helps to reduce inflammation of blood vessels and cure headaches. This makes it an effective remedy among all other available home remedies for headaches.
- Add a tablespoon of fish oil to a glass of fresh orange juice.
- Drink this twice a day when a migraine or a headache struck.
- It isn’t that bad in taste as it sounds.
- Alternatively, you can also take fish oil supplements or capsules and follow the dosage as mentioned on the bottle cover.
6.) Avoid MSG Added Foods
MSG or Monosodium Glutamate is found in many food items as it enhances its flavor. MSG is derived from an amino acid called Glutamic acid that occurs naturally in various foods. For migraine patients, MSG acts as a trigger food. This is due to the fact that MSG excites the nerves and thus leads to headaches.
Always check the labels of packaged food before buying them. It is also sometimes mentioned as a hidden component. Be extra cautious while buying Chinese foods, canned food, processed meat and soy-based food items as they contain the maximum amount of MSG.
Watch for some of the words mentioned below that indicate the presence of hidden MSG:
- Yeast extract
- Textured Protein
- Anything “hydrolyzed”
7.) Ginger Root Munch
Ginger is an effective and natural remedy that is easily available among all other home remedies for headaches. It inhibits the process of Prostaglandin Synthesis. Some of the painkillers also inhibits the synthesis that helps to cure headaches.
- You can simply chew up a few freshly cut slices of ginger root.
- As an alternative, take 3 slices of ginger root and add to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Gently simmer for 30 minutes them strain.
- Slowly sip on the ginger water and relax.
- This will surely help to treat headaches and as well as nausea.
8.) Butterbur Remedy to Treat Headache
It refers to a plant from Daisy family. Butterbur is an age-old remedy used by Americans to cure headaches and inflammation. The American Academy of Neurology and America Headache Society endorse the effectiveness of Butterbur. It functions as a natural beta blocker that helps to attain the normal flow of blood and also control the blood pressure. Also, controls the Spasmodic Capillary action that causes migraines. All these benefits make Butter-bur an effective remedy among all other available home remedies for headaches.
NOTE- Usually doctors recommend 50-100 milligrams of dosage twice a day for adults and is enough to reduce its severity. But, consult a doctor before commencing the dosage on your own unless recommended. Look for a brand of extra labeled PA-Free that ensures, it does not contain any harmful toxins and chemical that naturally occur in the plant and has been properly processed for safe usage.