Nowadays every individual suffers from a heartburn, whether adults or youths. It has become a common problem now, the reason being overeating, unhealthy food intake, unplanned diet, etc. This leads to a burning sensation right behind the breastbone that creeps up the throat. So, if you can relate to the statement in any manner, then you are at the right place. In this article, we will discuss a few home remedies for heartburn.
Heartburn is moreover a symptom than a disease, which is caused by an acid reflux. The situation takes place when the ring of the muscle that allows the food to pass into your stomach relaxes, when it actually should not. Thus resulting in the build-up of acid in your stomach, which travels up the esophagus and cause a burning sensation termed as heartburn.
Common Causes of Heartburn:
- A hiatal hernia.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Carbonated drinks.
- Acidic juices and foods.
- Primary esophageal disease.
- Excessive consumption of chocolates.
Symptoms of Heartburn:
One of the severe and major symptoms of heartburn is GERD i.e. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Here the stomach acid reaches up the esophagus, thus causing irritation, pain, and burning sensation. This pain is either felt at the back of the breastbone or near the sternum. In the case of an acid reflux in the larynx, it may cause hoarseness and choking of the throat.
Home Remedies for Heartburn
1.) Baking Soda to Treat Heartburn
Sodium bicarbonate helps to treat heartburn by curbing the burning sensation that is the result of an acid reflux. How does it work? It acts as a base that controls the pH level of your stomach and neutralizes the excessive acid build up.
- Take half a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Mix it in a glass of fresh water.
- Drink this solution thrice a day to treat heartburn.
NOTE- Do not make excessive use of baking soda as it can cause nausea or swelling.
2.) Aloe Vera Juice to Treat Heartburn
As we all know that Aloe Vera has natural anti-inflammatory properties. But, these are not just limited to the outer surface of your body that is the skin. It even treats inflammation inside your body. Aloe helps to treat heartburn by soothing the inflammation caused in your stomach due to the acid build-up.
- Just drink a cup of Aloe Vera juice before meals.
- Repeat until the heartburn is completely cured.
NOTE- Buy aloe juice that is free of the laxative component. This is because laxative can give you a few extra bathroom trips than the normal.
3.) Chewing Gum to Treat Heartburn
This may sound weird but, it works trust me. While chewing a gum you produce more saliva. Now, this extra saliva helps to dilute the extra acid build up in your gut. Thus, improving the symptoms of GERD i.e. Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- All you need is a packet of chewing gum.
- Simply chew them for almost half an hour continuously.
- Do this after every meal.
- This will help to treat heartburn easily.
4.) The ACV Remedy to Treat Heartburn
Every list of natural remedies is incomplete without Apple Cider Vinegar. It is an age-old remedy to treat numerous medical conditions and heartburn is one among them. ACV helps to prevent the reflux by neutralizing the excessive acid in your stomach, thus helping to treat heartburn.
- Take 3 teaspoons or organic ACV and dilute it in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution regularly before meals.
- Repeat this remedy until the heartburn is completely cured.
5.) Snack on a Banana to Treat Heartburn
Banana potent natural antacids that help to treat heartburn. It is also one of the simplest home remedies available that acts as a buffer against the acid reflux.
- Simply eat a banana every day.
- This will help to ease the inflammation caused in your stomach.
- Continue eating, until the heartburn is completely cured.
6.) Ginger Tea to Treat Heartburn
Ginger is a popular remedy to treat many stomach problems. All it does is to calm down the burning sensation in your stomach and act as a buffer against the acid reflux.
- Simply boil a freshly crushed ginger root in water.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and sip this tea thrice a day.
- You can also chew a few slices of ginger root to treat heartburn.
7.) Mustard to Treat Heartburn
Mustard had natural alkalizing properties and is full of minerals. This helps to neutralize the excessive acid build up, therefore, reducing the inflammation and pain caused due to the acid reflux.
- Take a teaspoon of mustard powder.
- And suck it straight in your mouth.
- Drink a glass of warm water to avoid the powder getting stuck all over your mouth.
- Repeat the remedy twice daily until the heartburn is completely cured.
8.) Snacking on Almonds to Treat Heartburn
Almonds help to neutralize the excessive acid build-up in your stomach, therefore relieving the inflammation and pain caused due to the acid reflux. This is an easy and effective home remedy to treat heartburn.
- Soak 3-4 almonds overnight.
- Eat them the next morning.
- As an alternative, have a few almonds every time you eat something.
NOTE- Do not make over consumption of almonds.
9.) Chamomile Tea to Treat Heartburn
It helps to reduce the inflammation caused in your stomach and balance the acid levels. Chamomile tea acts as a buffer against acid reflux and helps to treat heartburn easily. This makes it one of the effective home remedies for heartburn.
- Simply boil chamomile flowers in water.
- Add a few apple wedges and mash them with a wooden spatula when to soften.
- Simmer this for at least 45 seconds on low flame.
- Now sip on this tea to relieve heartburn
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get better results.
10.) Fennel Seeds to Treat Heartburn
Fennel helps to control the production of acid in your stomach, thus making one of the effective home remedies for heartburn.
- Chew a few fennel seeds several times a day.
- You can also prepare fennel tea as an alternative.
- Simply boil a few fennel seeds in water.
- Simmer for a few minutes then let the tea sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a glass.
- Drink this tea thrice a day to treat heartburn.
11.) Mint to Treat Heartburn
Mint is an effective home remedy that helps to treat indigestion thus relieving heartburn easily. This is because it has digestion-aiding and soothing properties. This makes it on of the effective home remedies for heartburn.
- Simply add a tablespoon of freshly crushed mint leaves to a glass of water.
- You can also use the juice of mint leaves.
- Leave it for half an hour to induce then drink.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get effective results.
12.) Milk to Treat Heartburn
This is one of the simplest solutions that help to treat heartburn easily. This is because milk relieves the valve between the stomach and esophagus, thus making it one of the effective home remedies for heartburn.
- Simply drink a glass of either warm or cold milk daily.
- This will help to treat heartburn and prevent it from recurring in future.
13.) Slippery Elm to Treat Heartburn
Slippery elm is another home remedy with medicinal properties that help to treat heartburn. It thickens the mucus lining in your stomach thus creating a barrier against the acid. This makes slippery elm one of the effective home remedies for heartburn.
- Simply add a teaspoon of slippery elm powder in a glass of hot water.
- Drink this solution after meals and before going to bed.
- This will help to treat heartburn and get of inflammation fast.
14.) Cabbage Juice to Treat Heartburn
Cabbage has natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate various kinds of stomach problems including heartburn. This is one of the effective home remedies for heartburn.
- Simply grind cabbage to extract the juice.
- Drink one and a half cup of this juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- This will help to treat heartburn and prevent its occurrence in future.
15.) Clove to Get Rid of Heartburn
Clove is one of the best remedies to stop heartburn fast. It consists of capsaicin, pinene and inflammatory properties that helps in digestion thus reducing the heartburn.
- Add a pinch of clove powder to a spoon of honey and mix it in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture 2-3 times a day to get relief from heartburn.
- Also you can chew some ground cloves after drinking this mixture for quick relief.