A migraine is one of the big problems which people are facing nowadays. Every second person has the problem of a migraine headache. Even youth is also suffering from this problem and the pain of a migraine is unbearable. In this article, we will discuss a migraine headache. We will also discuss what are the causes, symptoms and home remedies for migraine so that people can cure a migraine naturally and faster.
What Is Migraine?
A migraine is not just a normal headache. It is more than a normal headache which usually effects on one side of the head. Often, people use the term Migraine as the description of a headache, migraine is a specific physiologic change which occurs in the brain.
Symptoms of a Migraine:
- Light and sound sensitivity.
- Eye pain.
- Poor Concentration.
- Abdominal Pain.
- Feeling very hot or very cold.
Home Remedies for Migraine
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Migraine
Apple cider Vinegar is always being a nutritional powerhouse; it reduces migraines. Apple cider vinegar also has the properties of health benefits like aiding detoxification. It controls blood sugar, regulates high blood pressure, reduces bone pain, and promotes weight loss and provides relief from constipation. Try this one of the best home remedies for migraine treatment.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and mix one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this daily to prevent a migraine, as well as it treats a migraine.
- If you are not used to of apple cider vinegar, start with 1 teaspoon and after sometimes increase the amount. If you feel migraine attack is coming on, or if you’re already suffering from it, you can take 2 – 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
2.) Peppermint to Cure Migraine
Peppermint has the property of anti-inflammatory, which helps to soothe the nerves. It also has an antispasmodic and an effect which calms your head. A study says that the fragrance of this peppermint herb is inducing the feeling of headache relief and this is one the best home remedies for migraine.
- Simply drink peppermint tea with honey. Repeat as per your requirement.
- You can also massage head with one drop of peppermint essential oil or you can add some peppermint essential oil and lavender essential oil together.
- Leave it for at least 20 to 30 minutes and repeat this a few times in a day until you get relief.
3.) Ginger as Remedy for Migraine
A says that ginger may prove effective in the treatment of common migraines. It is also a natural remedy to treat nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach and aid digestion.
- Drink ginger tea severally throughout the day until you get relief from the pain. Drink it at the onset of your headache.
- Peel a ginger, wash it and slice it. Now bring one and a half cup of water and boil it with ginger slices.
- Now allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. After that strain it in a cup and squeeze a lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey. Stir well and have it.
- Another way to use ginger for a migraine is simply chewing on a piece of raw ginger.
4.) Chamomile to Treat Migraine
Chamomile is rich with anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and soothing properties. It helps to relieve migraines. Regular drinking of chamomile tea will also help you prevent the problem associated with a migraine.
- Take 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers powder in a cup and add hot water. Leave it for a few minutes. If you need, you can add some lemon juice and honey.
- Strain it and drink this tea 3 – 4 times in a day for relief from a migraine and its symptoms.
- Alternatively, you can prepare an herbal tea of it by adding equal quantities of chamomile, horehound, and meadowsweet in a cup and mix hot water. Leave it for five minutes at least. Strain and drink it.
5.) Massage to Get Rid of Migraine
Massaging your head helps to ease migraine headaches. It blocks pain signals sent to the brain. It boosts the serotonin activity and stimulates certain serotonin receptors, which reduce the symptoms as well as the frequency of migraines attacks.
- Gently massage your head in a circular motion with the help of your first two fingers. While massaging, keep that in mind that there are some pressure points are located like the base of the skull, between the eyebrows and at the corners of the eyes. When you press them correctly, it will help relieve pain.
- Or you can heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil and mix it with one-half teaspoons of cinnamon and cardamom powder.
- Apply this mixture on your forehead and massage and leave it off for a few hours and wash it off.
- Repeat home these remedies. Regular massage will help reduce the frequency and duration of migraine attacks.
6.) Ice Pack to Relieve Migraine
Using an ice pack is one of the most popular home remedies for migraine headaches and you can get rid of tensions. It numbs your head that alleviates pain.
- Take a few ice cubes and wrap them in a clean towel. Now place it on your temples, forehead and on the back of your neck. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes.
- For better results, add lavender essential oil or peppermint essential oil or even you can add both of them to the water for the compress.
7.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Migraine
Cayenne pepper stimulates circulation and improves blood flow. It is a great home remedy for migraines. It also contains capsaicin. Capsaicin is a compound that works as a natural painkiller for migraines.
- Mix ½ to one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of warm water.
- If you want, you can add some lemon juice and honey. It will improve the taste as well as it is good for health.
- Drink this until you get rid of migraine attacks.
8.) Feverfew for Migraine Treatment
Feverfew has been used for centuries. It is considered to be one of the effective home remedies for migraines. The feverfew herb contains a compound known as parthenolide, which relieves spasms in smooth muscle tissue and also it prevents inflammation.
- Prepare an herbal tea of dried peppermint and feverfew by adding one teaspoon of each in a cup of hot water. Boil it for 15 – 20 minutes and strain it and drink it.
- Drink this effective cup of tea at least 3 – 4 times in a day.
9.) Lavender Oil to Treat Migraine
Lavender essential has a great smell. But, it is one of the great home remedies for migraine and headaches pain. Unlike many medicinal oils, you can also safely apply lavender essential oil externally without the need to dilute it.
- Take 2 -4 drops and add in two to three cups of boiling water, when inhaling lavender. You can either inhale lavender oil or apply topically.
- Lavender essential oil should not be taken orally.
10.) Flaxseeds to Get Rid of Migraine
Flaxseeds are rich in omega-3 content that helps reduce the inflammation caused due to headache. For quick relief much on some flaxseeds 2-3 times a day or you can add flaxseed in your food, salads or smoothies. The makes flaxseed one of the best home remedies for migraine. It is one of the best remedies for migraine treatment.
Note– Pregnant women or breast feeding mother should avoid consuming flaxseeds.
Exercises to Cure Migraine:
Our lives are fast-paced, hectic, and filled with stress. Our tired minds and bodies react to this by anxious and knotting up muscles, usually in the neck, upper back and shoulders. Where the actual pain induces we end up with tension-type headaches that further leads to migraine. To help relieve your migraine, try some of the following tips:
Do Yoga: Yoga will get your mind straight. Stretching out your body and muscles will get you drop the tension and help you treat migraine. Try doing few movements when the pain triggers, but the best thing to do is a set down a few minutes everyday to exercise regularly and prevent headaches before they occur.
Breathe: You may think your breathing is fine, but if your head is hitting hard that means you’re likely not getting the enough oxygen you take in. generally, we take breaths that are too depthless, and when we undergo pain or stress, we definitely breathe shallow. In that case, make an effort to take full, deep, breaths that start in your diaphragm and fill up your lungs with air. This will get you loads of fresh oxygen flowing through your blood and will also help rest your mind and body.
Drop Your Shoulders: Keep this in mind to do about 5 times a day. Make yourself familiar of how you carry your shoulders. Once you think of it, they will tell you to drop them down. You would be astonished at how often we carry them arched too high, resulting in soreness that further leads to migraine and tensions.
Some Other Tips for Prevent Migraine:
- Though, basil is a herb which is basically used as a topping for pizzas and pasta because it tastes and smells good. In need of a natural home remedy, people use the oil derived from the basil plant as a headache treatment. You can use basil plant oil to cure a migraine faster.
- An apple daily keeps the doctor away. Yes, in a migraine apple works as a best remedy It can reduce the warning signs of a migraine attack. The smell of a green apple can also help reduce the severity of a migraine and shorten a migraine attack. Especially for those people, who like the smell.
- A cup of strong coffee will help reduce migraine headaches. Coffee contains caffeine that blocks blood vessels and restricts receptors, which are causing the migraine. To make it more effective, add a few drops of lemon juice. Lemon will counteract those effects of acidic diet, which cause the migraine headaches.
- Butterbur is very effective for migraine pain and for asthma too. It also provides relief to stomach.
- Fish oil reduces the inflammation and restricts the blood vessels in your temples.
- Avoid the intake of alcohol. Especially avoid alcohol that gives you a headache after a few hours and drink a lot of water and other fluids.
- Apart from head massage, do some stretches and yoga. This keeps your mind focused and provides you strength and also will take your pain away. Breathe clean and take more oxygen. Go to a garden or park nearby you for some fresh and clean air. This will give you relief and also your eyes won’t ache.
- Do not work too much while migraine attack, listen to your body and take proper rest. Working too much will increase your headache.
- Instead of taking medicine, eat some almonds. Add almonds to your regular diet. Almonds are one of the best natural home remedies for migraine. Almonds are healthier than any other medicine of a migraine. They contain salicin that is a pain killer.