In this article, we are discussing several home remedies for mosquito bites. When you go and enjoy the great outdoors, mosquito bites seem to be an unwanted and unavoidable evil. Bees and wasps inject venom when they sting, mosquitoes simply feed on your blood when they bite. The itchiness that follows come from an anticoagulant when the mosquito injects to prevent your blood from clotting, It triggers an allergic reaction that contains the red round bumps.
Symptoms from mosquito bites are itchiness, swelling, skin rashes, bruising, and skin infection too. Mosquito bites can be a reason to cause fatal diseases like malaria and dengue in various parts of the world. Although naturally, you would avoid bitten by mosquitoes by wearing pants and other clothes which can cover up our bodies, but what if you are already bitten by mosquitoes? So we are presenting before you some remedies which can cure mosquito bites.
Reason Why Mosquito Bites?
Female mosquitoes have mouthparts through which they suck the blood of a host. The protein which is being gathered from our blood is used in egg production. It is only female mosquitoes who bites, Males do not bite. They get energy from plant nectars and other sweet substances found around them. After puncturing the skin with their mouth and feeding on blood, mosquitoes leave the human body with hard itchy bumps.
In the blood-feeding process, mosquitoes inject their infective saliva into their host skin, which results in creating skin reactions. Most mosquito bites come out to be harmless and the symptoms which come up subside in a few days. Some problematic symptoms include swelling of the bite site, bleeding, and soreness. While mosquitoes are an itchy and unwanted nuisance, the important problem arising from mosquitoes is diseases which occur after their bites. Now let’s get to know about ways to cure mosquito bites
Home Remedies to Cure Mosquito Bites
1.) Lemon to Get Rid of Mosquito Bites
Lemons are the substances that contain natural anti-inflammatory and other anesthetic properties that make them immensely useful in treating mosquito bites.
- Cut a lemon into two halves and rub one of the halves against your itchy skin for instant relief. You can rub the yellow rind of the lemon on your skin too.
- Make the use of lemon juice and apply it on the bites to help lower down the chance of developing an infection.
- Another option is to get the basil leaves and crush them in lemon juice and apply the mixture onto the area which is affected
2.) Minced Onion: As a Medicine
Onion and garlic help in soothing the itching and reducing the swelling caused by mosquito bites. Moreover, their smell is so strong which acts as an anti-mosquito repellent.
- Apply minced onion or garlic directly onto the area bit by mosquitoes
- Leave it on for a while and wash it on later.
3.) Baking Soda: As An Effective Remedy
Baking soda is very effective in stopping the itchiness caused by mosquito bites. As it is an alkaline nature, it neutralizes the pH of the skin and also gives great relief.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Dip a clean cloth into the mixture and put the cloth over the affected skin area for a few minutes.
- Another option is to make a paste using witch hazel and baking soda. Apply it on the bite and leave it for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, wash the area with lukewarm water.
4.) Aloe Vera Helps Soothe the Skin
Aloe Vera is considered to be a natural antiseptic agent, which makes out a great remedy for mosquito bites. It can reduce pain, itching, and swelling, as well as it helps in faster healing.
- Cut the big portion of an Aloe Vera leaf and extract out the gel in it. Nowadays it is easy to buy Aloe Vera gel which is available in stores.
- Put Aloe Vera in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and let it get chilled.
- Rub it against the affected side and get relief
5.) Salt: An Antiseptic Remedy
You would be astonished to hear that due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, salt can be used as a remedy for mosquito bites.
- Take salt and water in a little amount, create a paste of it by mixing and apply it in the area which is affected.
- Another option is to use garlic salt and make a paste by adding seasoning salt and water in equal amounts. Apply this paste on the affected area. It causes a burning sensation for a few seconds, but later on, it provides a great relief.
6.) Ice Can Give Immense Relief
Ice always gives relief in every sense. Cold temperature numbs the area and gives you relief from the itching sensation.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a cloth and apply it on the affected area.
- This will come up as a relief for swelling and relief.
7.) Rub Alcohol to Get Rid of Mosquito Bites
Every time it is not important to use alcohol in the same party way. Sometimes it can also act as a medicine to us. Most of the times people use it for their occasional purpose, but it also consists of some medicinal properties.
- You can use your alcohol by rubbing it on the affected area bitten by mosquitoes, that not only reduces irritation, but also responsible for the reduction of the chance of irritation.
- Initially, you might face sting feeling by rubbing it, but later on, the irritation and swelling get reduced and we can feel relief.
8.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Mosquito Bites
Tea tree oil is prominent for its amazing antiseptic properties that help in treating bacteria infected wounds mosquito bites and acne. It is also a weapon to reduce itchiness and swelling in an affected area.
- Use a cotton ball for applying some tea tree oil to the affected area.
- Do not use tea tree oil if you have a sensitive skin as it can cause skin irritation.
- Rather than using it, you can try other essential oils like lavender or cedar oil.
9.) Toothpaste: An Anti-Inflammatory Remedy
Yes, we know you would be widening up your eyes and feeling astounded for the fact that how toothpaste can help us in getting free from mosquito bites? Actually, toothpaste holds a property of removing itchiness and swelling of the affected area bitten by mosquitoes.
- You can simply apply your toothpaste on the area bitten by a mosquito which would lower down the itchiness and provide you with immense relief.
- If you want better results, you can go with the choice of using peppermint toothpaste, peppermint toothpaste has anti-inflammatory properties. Moreover, toothpaste which has ingredients like menthol and baking soda can also be taken into use. We advise you for saying ‘NO’ to gel-based toothpaste as it doesn’t act as a relief provider.
10.) Aspirin: Cure the Swelling
Many of you must have heard about this medicine for curing diseases. Aspirin holds the properties which are anti-inflammatory that can effectively control the swelling caused by mosquito bites. You can use it in either way:
- Grind the aspirin to make it into powder form, add a little amount of water into it to convert it into the paste and then apply it on the affected area to get relief.
- Another way is to wet the area and rub Aspirin over it.
11.) Honey Helps Cure Mosquito Bites
Hmm, it’s a sweetener, many of you feel amazing having it. But now it seems more amazing as we can use it as a medicine too. Honey has various anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a sweet substance which is a common pick among home remedy enthusiasts. It has innumerable years of medicinal history that helps supports various ailments and bites. A small drop on any itchy bite can help you in getting relief.
12.) Basil to Cure Mosquito Bites
The fragrant of basil plant is a major ingredient of many of your favorite Italian foods, and it also acts as a mosquito bite remedy. According to the study, this is a common herb contains chemical compounds, like Eugenol, that can help us in getting relief from itchy skin.
- To make a basil rub, take two cups of boiling water and add half amount of dried basil leaves.
- Leave the mixture of the leaves and water to steep until it is cool.
- After it, dip a washcloth into it and rub it slowly on your mosquito bites.
- Alternatively, just cut some fresh basil leaves until very fine, and rub them on your skin which will result in giving you relaxation.
The outstanding ways to get rid of mosquito bites irritation is to avoid mosquitoes and to not get bitten at all! We must Keep in mind that these insects are very active in the evening and at night. If you really want to enjoy your summer evening outdoors and you are scared of being bitten by mosquitoes, so cover up your skin and stay away from still water to reduce the chance of getting bitten. It’s not cool to ruin your summer spending time outside with friends and family. Stop the bits and if you are already bitten, quickly stop the itching and swelling with safe , secure and cost efficient homemade remedies.