Pink eye, also referred as Conjunctivitis is a common eye infection where the affected eye appears swollen and pink. Also a yellow or clear discharge is witnessed from the eye. It is basically a bacterial infection which does not stay for more than two to three days. Generally, the infection is worn off on its own but, if it stays, hen things are serious. It is a highly contagious disease and can easily spread from an infected person to another. In many cases, the bacteria is allowed to complete its course of infection and then it gets treated on its own but for other severe infections people seek for home remedies for pink eye as antibiotics have harmful side effects that they refrain themselves from.
Types of Pink Eye:
1. Viral Pink Eye
- Discharge of a clear watery drainage from the eye.
- Highly Contagious.
- Starts from one eye and move to the other.
- No treatments, let the bacteria run through its course and will eliminate on its own.
2. Bacterial Pink Eye
- Discharge of a greenish drainage from the eye.
- Highly Contagious.
- Starts from one eye and spreads to the other.
- Antibiotics are the remedy to treat a bacterial pink eye. Those who avoid antibiotics opt for natural remedies. If you are also among them, then keep reading.
3. Allergic Pink Eye
- A result of seasonal pollens, cosmetics, certain eye drops and animal dander. It can also be a result of chemical reactions like bleach, furniture polish, etc.
- Not at all contagious.
- Discharge of a clear, watery drainage m the eye.
- Affects both the eyes.
Common Causes of Pink Eye:
- Computer use.
- Allergic reactions.
- Dryness of eyes.
- Dust particles
- Contact lenses.
Common Symptoms of Pink Eye:
- Eye pain.
- Itchy eyelids.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Itching in the eyes.
- Blurred vision.
- Watery discharge from eyes.
- Swelling of the eyelids.
Home Remedies for Pink Eye
1. Cucumber to Treat Pink Eye
Second on the list is again one of the effective home remedies for pink eyes. This is because cucumber has natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to lessen the redness and the puffiness of your eyes that is a result of a bacterial infection.
- Simply peel a cucumber and cut the slices.
- Place these slices in the freezer for about half an hour.
- Take two slices from the refrigerator and lace on your eyes.
- Do this while you are lying down on the couch or wherever you feel comfortable.
- Repeat the procedure regularly to treat the infection and you will be amazed to see the results.
2. Honey to Treat Pink Eye
One of the most inexpensive and easily available home remedies for pink eye is Honey. It is known to have numerous health benefits which include natural antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. So, when a pink eye infection triggers, do not forget that the cure is in your kitchen cabinet.
- A spoon of raw honey.
- A pinch of salt.
- Clean dropper, and
- A glass of water.
- Heat water in a saucepan.
- Now, add raw organic honey and salt to it.
- Stir well until the ingredients are completely dissolved in water.
- Remove from the flame and let this syrup cool down.
- Pour this into a dropper and use it as nasal drops.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily
- This makes it one of the effective home remedies for pink eye.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Pink Eye
No list of natural remedies is complete without mentioning the health benefits of Apple cider vinegar. This is because it holds several curative properties that help to ease the symptoms and also fights the bacteria causing infection. ACV is known as a rich source of natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. All these benefits make ACV as of the effective home remedies for pink eye.
- A spoon of apple cider vinegar.
- A glass of fresh water, and
- 2 cotton swabs.
- Boil water in a pan and stir ACV into it.
- Remove from flame and let it cool own at room temperature.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and place it on the affected eye.
- Alternatively, you can also wipe the infected eye with this soaked cotton ball.
- The eye may feel itchy for around 10 seconds, so do not panic.
- Repeat the procedure every night before going to bed until the infection completely cures.
- This makes it as one of the effective home remedies for pink eye.
4. Pure Rose Water to Treat Pink Eye
One of the easily available ingredients and also the effective home remedies for pink eye is rose water. Due to its natural anti-bacterial properties and sterile agents, it helps to reduce the symptoms of infection and treat the cause effectively.
- A cup of rose water.
- A cotton swab.
- One of the most common usages of rose water is to use it as an eye drop.
- Simply, soak a cotton ball in the rose water.
- Place the soaked cotton ball on the infected eye.
- Leave it to work for 10 minutes.
- Do this while you are lying down on a couch or wherever you feel comfortable.
- Repeat the remedy twice daily to cure the infection.
5. Cold Water to Treat Pink Eye
One of the easiest, inexpensive and effective home remedies for pink eye is cold water. It won’s cost a single buck to use this remedy. All you need to do is get a bottle of chilled water. But yes, keep in mind that it is to be used in the eye, so the water should be processed, hygienic and mineral (recommended). It also helps to reduce the risk of infection to spread from an eye to another.
- A clean washcloth.
- A bowl of cold water.
- Soak the washcloth in the water.
- Let it stay in the water for almost 5 minutes.
- Now, after soaking, use this cloth to wipe the infected eye.
- Keep changing the water after every use.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a day for almost a week.
- This will help you to get rid of the infection.
6. Goldenseal to Treat Pink Eye
One of the best and effective home remedies for pink eye is Goldenseal. This is because the herb has natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that helps to fight the bacteria causing infection and treat the cause effectively.
- Two spoons of the herb (Goldenseal).
- A glass of water.
- A clean washcloth.
- Boil water in a pan.
- Take the herb and mix it with boiled water.
- Use the cloth to soak this water solution.
- Press the soaked cloth against the infected eye.
- Hold it in place for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy daily to treat the infection and get rid of pink eye.
7. Chamomile Tea to Treat Pink Eye
Chamomile tea aids in curing and lowering the eye infection caused due to the bacteria, that results in a pink eye. This because it contains natural anti-bacterial properties that help in curing the infections
- 2 chamomile tea bags.
- 1 chopped garlic clove.
- 1spoon of honey.
- A glass of water, and
- Mixing bowl.
- Heat water in a pan and then pour it into a heat resistant bowl.
- Add the chamomile tea bags to the bowl and let them steep.
- Rest it for almost 5 minutes.
- Now, top the prepared tea with honey as preferred.
- No, you don’t have to drink it.
- Soak a cotton ball in this tea and apply it to the infected eye.
- Repeat this remedy thrice daily until the infection is completely cured.
8. Potato to Treat Pink Eye
Potatoes are recognized for their natural astringent assets that help to treat the bacterial and yeast infections. Thus making it as one of the effective home remedies for pink eye.
Raw and peeled potato.
- Simply cut the slices of the potato.
- Place them in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Take the slices and place them on each of the eye.
- Let them be in place for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the method a few times in a day, regularly for at least a week.
- This is certainly one of the best home remedies for pink eye.
- Potatoes will also help to lower the swelling and puffiness caused due to infection.