In this article, we will be discussing the home remedies for scabies infection, but let’s first get to know the causes and symptoms. The term Scabies describes a parasitic skin infection caused by an itch mite Sarcoptes scabies. Now, the name itself gives you the idea of the type of infection, these little creepy monsters give to the skin. They lay their eggs by making burrows inside the skin and meanwhile create bacterial infection around the place. The infection caused by these mites tends to weaken the immune system.
Effects of infection begin after 30 days and the initial period is often symptomless. It is contagious in nature. One needs to take proper care when any member of the family is suffering from the disease. These infections are more rampant in institutional settings.
Causes of Scabies
As stated earlier, the scabies mite is an eight-legged parasite called Sarcoptes scabies that is smaller than 0.5 mm in size. Studies say that about 300 million people have suffered from this infection, worldwide.
- Scabies is generally spread through sexual intercourse involving a scabies infected person. It causes skin lesions on the penis, groin or vaginal area.
- Some of the other causes include the sharing of personal stuff like clothes, towels, bedding, and pillows, etc.
- A person can also get the infection on touching anything that has a mite on its surface.
- Scabies do not transmit between humans and animals, but the mites can crawl onto the other and can cause itching. Though human mites do not multiply on animal skin and quickly die, same goes for the animal mites.
Signs and Symptoms of Scabies Infection
The signs and symptoms of scabies usually unveil after 2-6 weeks of exposure. It involves continuous itching, especially at night. Some other symptoms include:
- Abrasions or red bite like marks may seem on the skin.
- Bumps alike pimples or blisters can also appear when the mite bites.
- These tend to occur on areas around the wrist, knee, groin, elbow, underarm, or finger webs.
- The skin may also have a rash or sore, especially in children due to vigorous scratching.
- Large nodules of about 2-20 mm in diameter may appear on the skin of babies or infants.
- A small “S” shapes track appears on the skin that indicates the movement of the mite inside the skin, especially in the finger webs or toes.
- These burrows are small enough to get overlooked.
- Scabies usually occurs in the crevasses of the body like elbows, groin, underarm, buttocks, etc. and do not affect the face, neck, lips, head, scalp, palms, soles except for children and infants.
- Many of the normal skin redness and rashes are confused with scabies, so it is better to consult a dermatologist and seek professional help.
Home Remedies for Scabies
1.) Tea Tree Oil Cures Scabies
It helps to balance the pH levels of your skin and makes it acidic in nature. This makes the skin inhospitable for any mites or parasites to live. It has Terpinen-4-ol which directly attacks the mite and kill them. The antimicrobial properties of the oil prevent any secondary infection, making it one of the effective home remedies for scabies.
Note– Undergo a patch test for Tea Tree Oil before application. If your skin is sensitive, then increase the quantity of olive oil.
- Mix tea tree oil and olive oil in the ratio 1:1 and directly apply to the infected area.
- Use a cotton ball for the application.
- Do not wash the area and let the tea tree oil work.
- Your skin will completely soak up the oil mixture and eliminate the parasites.
- Fill your tub with warm water and add 10-12 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Soak yourself in it for at least 15-20 minutes and repeat the process twice a day.
Note– Tea tree oil is harsh and should never be directly applied to the skin. Always dilute it with any base oil. Also, it should never be ingested orally.
2.) Clove Oil Cures Scabies
Clove oil has antibacterial properties that help to fight the mite and cure infection. Also, it’s anti-inflammatory properties are an addition to its health benefits making it one of the effective home remedies for scabies treatment.
- Mix a tablespoon of clove oil with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, if not available you can use coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to the infected area and let the skin absorb the oil.
- On repeating this remedy regularly the condition should improve within two weeks.
Note– Do not use undiluted clove oil as it can burn your skin.
3.) Onion Can Cure Scabies
Onions contain quercetin that is known as an analgesic agent. It helps in curing the symptoms of scabies, especially itching. They are also a rich source of organosulphur compounds that directly attack and get rid of the mites, this makes it one of the best among other effective home remedies for scabies.
- Cut a fresh slice of onion and chop them off.
- Put in a bowl and sprinkle some salt over it.
- Cover with a lid and let the onion leave the juices.
- Apply the juice to the infected area using a cotton ball.
- You can make a thick paste out of a few onion slices by putting them in a mixer.
- Put the paste on a muslin cloth and squeeze all the juices out of the paste.
- Apply it on the infected area.
4.) Bleach Do the Trick
Bleach contains chlorine, which is known as a disinfectant. It kills the mites in the first place and acts as an effective home remedy for scabies infection.
- Mix a cup of bleach and 3 cups of water in a container.
- Apply the mixture to the infected area using a cotton ball and let it dry.
- Take a shower afterwards.
Note– Bleach is extremely corrosive. Never use undiluted bleach. It can burn your skin. Avoid contact with eyes. If any contact occurs, then rinse immediately and if any blur vision occurs then visit a doctor.
5.) Turmeric Kill the Mites
Turmeric is a herb that has strong antibacterial properties that can wreak havoc on the scabies mites and protect the area against infection. It is known as the best among other available home remedies for scabies as well as other infections.
- Turmeric is mixed with Lilac oil and applied to the infected area.
- Let it dry naturally and this should take about an hour.
- Then take a shower.
Turmeric and Lilac Powder
- Mix a tablespoon of turmeric and lilac powder.
- Add a few drops of water to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to the infected area.
- Let it dry then wash off.
Turmeric and Lemon Juice
- Mix a tablespoon of turmeric with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Form a thick paste and then apply it on the infected area.
- Let it dry that should take about an hour then wash off with lukewarm water.
6.) White Vinegar Kills Scabies Mites
White vinegar is acidic in nature due to the acetic acid present in it. It helps to lower the pH level of your skin, making it more acidic and inappropriate for the mites to live. Eventually killing them. This makes it the best choice among various other available home remedies for scabies.
- Dilute white vinegar and fresh water in the ratio 1:1.
- Apply the solution to the infected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave it to work for about five minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a day to get visible results.
7.) Lavender Oil Proves Beneficial
Lavender oil is one of the extremely effective home remedies for scabies. It also helps in the regeneration of the skin cells that allows you to shed the infected, dead skin cells.
- Mix lavender oil and olive oil in equal proportions and apply to the infected area using a cotton ball.
- Allow your skin to soak the oil mixture and do not rinse.
- Repeat this treatment several times a day to get effective results.
- You can also mix lavender oil with rubbing alcohol in the equal quantities.
- The rubbing alcohol acts as an astringent and makes impossible for the mites to survive.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day to get effective results.
- Fill a bathtub with lukewarm water and add a few drops of lavender oil to it.
- Soak your body in it for about 15 minutes.
- Taking this bath daily will help you treat the scabies infection and get rid of mites.
8.) Bitter Gourd: Bitter for the Mites
Another effective, natural home remedy for scabies is bitter gourd that helps to treat infection quickly. It is a rich source of vitamins B, C, magnesium, folate, zinc, and phosphorus that has anti-microbial properties. All these health benefits make it one among the best home remedies for scabies.
- Chop a bitter gourd into a few chunks and put it in a blender.
- You will get a thick paste, take out the paste and extract the juice.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to it to improve the taste.
- Drink it once or twice a day to cure the infection and get rid of mites within a week.