A strep throat is an infection of the throat that affects the tonsils, pharynx, and larynx. It is contagious and the common symptoms are white patches of the throat, sore throat, stomach ache, vomiting, loss of appetite, fever and difficulty while swallowing. The strep throat usually affects children between ages 5 and 15. It mostly occurs during the winter months. Treating it on time can limit the spread of the strep throat to other people. Don’t worry, in this article you will read about different home remedies for strep throat.
Symptoms of Strep Throat:
- Pain in the throat.
- Difficulty while swallowing.
- White patches in the throat.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
- Sore throat.
- Red and swollen tonsillitis.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
Causes of Strep Throat:
- Outdoor pollution.
- Dry air.
- An illness like flu and a common cold.
- Bacterial infection.
Strep throat is the most common affliction. You can experience a sore throat as a one of the common symptoms of a cold, the flu, or another type of virus. You may also get a sore throat even when you are not ill. For example, allergies can give you sore throats. Other irritants can also leave you with a sore throat.
Home Remedies for Strep Throat
1. Chicken Soup to Cure Strep Throat
Chicken soup is the age old home remedy to cure colds. It can help ease a sore throat as well. The sodium in the chicken actually have anti-inflammatory content, and it can cure almost everything related to cold.
It can be difficult to eat chicken during strep throat as it will be painful and difficult to eat something with the swollen throat. So having some liquid soup at this time will ensure that you are getting all the nutrients you need to fight your infection.
2. Marshmallows for Strep Throat
Marshmallows are the best solution when it comes to relieving sore throats. It has a mucus-like substance which coats and soothes the throat. Marshmallow is the mixture of water, sugar, and gelatin.Gelatin contains glycine and arginine, which is a combo of amino acids with healing properties. If you are suffering from strep throat and your throat really hurts to swallow anything, eat marshmallows to get some relief.
You will Need:
- The dried root- 1 tablespoon
- Boiling water- 1 cup
- Place one tablespoon of dried root in a mug and put some boiling water over it.
- Cover and steep for almost an hour before straining and drinking.
3. Rest to Cure Strep Throat
Rest may not be the fastest solution, but getting some rest is possibly the best thing one can do to fight the infection that is the reason behind a sore throat.
The infection of a sore throat is caused by cold viruses. As we know that there’s nothing much we can do to cure a cold once we have got it. Make sure your body is taking enough rest. Doing so will at least help your body to fight off the virus so you can get better very soon.
4. Use Garlic for Strep Throat
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for strep throat. It can cure the strep throat and symptoms caused by bacterial infection. Garlic has the properties of the antibiotic. Drinking garlic tea can help soothe strep throat.
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Put four fresh garlic cloves in the pot and boil for two more minutes.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the water cool for five minutes. Drink the solution
- Additionally, you can suck garlic and press clove with the help of teeth to release teeth. The juice will help soothe tonsils.
5. Yogurt to Get Rid of Strep Throat
Yogurt is also one of the best home remedies for strep throat. Like other bacterial infections, yogurt can be cured strep throat. The good beneficial bacteria present in yogurt will help to treat throat. Consume yogurt to cure strep throat.
6. The Cayenne to Cure Strep Throat
Cayenne pepper is also one of the wonderful home remedies for strep throat. Being an antibacterial agent, it helps in increasing the blood circulation to the throat, which will make bacterial action difficult. This will cure the pain and treat the infection.
- Make a mixture of one-fourth teaspoon of cayenne powder with 2-3 grated garlic cloves and one tablespoon of honey.
- Take one tablespoon of the mixture every one hour for 3-4 days
- Don’t drink water right after eating this mixture.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Strep Throat
Filled with healing properties, which makes apple cider vinegar the best option to cure a strep throat. Due to its acidic nature, it stops the bacterias inside the throat very effectively.
You will Need:
- Apple Cider Vinegar-1 tablespoon
- Honey-1 tablespoon
- Very warm water-1 cup
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with honey in one cup of water.
- Drink this solution twice or thrice a day.
8. Barberry to Cure Strep Throat
Barberry is utilized to soothe a sore throat because of its anti-inflammatory contents. It contains berberine, which is known to eliminate germs and parasites while helping to increase immunity.
- Add 2 to 4 grams of barberry dried root to 2/3 cup of boiled water.
- Now drink this barberry tea to cure strep throat fast.
9. Guava Leaves Remedy for Strep Throat
Guava is the part of the Myrtaceae family. For ages, the leaves, stem, roots, and bark of guava have been used in folk medicine for treating and helping a great number of health conditions, such as a sore throat, cough, toothache, vomiting, wound, and ulcer. This is one of the best home remedies for strep throat.
It is said that guava leaves and essential oil extracted from guava are rich in medicinal properties, like Fat, Flavonoids, Chlorophyll, Tannins, Eugenol, Cineol, Mineral Salts and so much more
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Lower the heat, and put 7 to 12 fresh guava leaves into the boiling water.
- Let it simmer for 5 more minutes. Allow the solution to cool then strain.
- Use the resulting liquid for gargling.
- Drink it once or thrice a day because the guava leaf extract can help in weight loss and lower blood sugar and cholesterol as well.
10. Sage to Cure Strep Throat
When you have a strep throat or any respiratory infection, sage helps dry up the phlegm. This is believed to be one of the best home remedies for strep throat.
- Pour 1 cup of boiled water to 1 tablespoon of dried sage leaves.
- Add a lime juice or honey.
- Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Gargle with sage tea to reduce inflammation.
- Drink sage tea slowly.
11. Cinnamon to Treat Strep Throat
Cinnamon is used for treating colds, nausea, painful menstrual periods, diabetes, gastrointestinal problems, and a lot more. it also an effective treatment for tonsillitis, which is mainly caused by Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Add 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil to the diffuser.
- Must use oil extracted from the leaf not bark because cinnamon bark oil can be harmful.
- Cinnamon powder can be taken up between 1 gram and 6 grams.
12. Winter Savory to Treat Strep Throat
Winter savory is also a good home remedy to cure tonsillitis or strep throat. The oil, like other 14 essential oils, has antibacterial activity and fight against Streptococcus pyogenes, which is one of the most common causes of a sore throat and tonsillitis.
- Combine Winter savory with other kinds of herbal teas, like green tea or chamomile tea.
- You can also mix Winter savory essential oil in any tea to cure a tender throat.