A stuffy nose is the most annoying feel one can ever imagine of. Your nose drips, you sound funny while talking, and you can’t breathe, to do so want to blow your nose to breath again and again. In other terms, it is called Nasal Congestion. People say that stuffy nose is the result of mucus in the nostrils, but it is nothing more than of a myth. In this article, we will tell you the right reasons behind the Nasal Congestion and the remedies for stuffy nose.
Causes for Stuffy Nose:
- Sinus infection.
- Environmental irritants.
- Certain chemicals.
- Nasal polyps.
- Non-cancerous tumours.
Symptoms for Stuffy Nose:
- Ear infection.
- Sinus problems.
- A blocked nose.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Mucus in the nasal passage.
- Swelling in nasal tissues.
A stuffy nose is the result of too much mucus in the nostrils. Although,Nasal Congestion is the result of inflamed blood vessels in the sinuses. These pesky vessels are generally triggered by a cold, allergies, the flu, or a sinus infection. We are sharing a few remedies for stuffy nose so can breathe better.
Top Remedies for Stuffy Nose
1. Steam Inhalation to Clear A Stuffy Nose
Steam is one of the best remedies for stuffy nose. It helps to thin the mucus in the sinuses so that the tenderness will be reduced. For steam, put 1 tablespoon of carom seeds in boiling water. Now, inhale the steam of this water at least 3 times a day. You can also use Vicks Vaporub or a few drops of peppermint oil instead of carom seeds and inhale.
2. Ginger for Nasal Congestion Relief
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for curing stuffy nose. Garlic has antiviral and anti-fungal properties which help to fight the respiratory infection causing nasal congestion.
- Take 2-3 freshly peeled cloves and boil in one cup of water.
- Add a half spoon of turmeric powder.
- Drink this water daily until it gives you relief from blocked nose and discomfort.
- Eating fresh raw garlic cloves can also help in curing stuffiness and discomfort.
3. Eucalyptus Oil to Clear a Stuffy Nose
Eucalyptus oil is very beneficial for those suffering from a stuffy nose, because of its decongestant and anti-inflammatory properties. This is very easy to use. Just put one or two drops of eucalyptus oil in a fresh handkerchief and inhale it. Do this a regularly. Eucalyptus essential oil can also be used on your pillow to get the benefits of eucalyptus oil even when you are in sleep.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar as a Remedies for Stuffy Nose
Apple cider vinegar helps thin the mucus and can quickly clear a stuffy nose. In addition, it is rich in several nutrients, vinegar is also good for overall health and immunity.
- Take a cup of warm water and
- Add two tablespoons of honey and apple cider vinegar in water.
- Stir and sip to get relief from a stuffy nose.
5. Warm Water for Nasal Congestion Relief
When suffering from nasal congestion, drink warm water. Warm water will keep your nasal moist and prevent them from drying. To feel better You can also take a hot shower for several minutes. Breathe in the soothing vapors. Repeat two times a day until you feel better.
6. Peppermint Tea as a Remedy for Stuffy Nose
Peppermint tea is one of the effective remedies for stuffy nose. Menthol present in peppermint helps in opening up nasal passages by thinning mucus. The soothing menthol will act as a home remedy to help give relief and cure your breathing to normal.
7. Tomato Juice to Clear a Stuffy Nose
Being rich in Vitamin C, tomatoes are the very helpful to boost the immune system and is very useful to get rid of stuffy nose. To try this remedy follow the steps given below:
- Add a cup of tomato juice, ½ tablespoon hot sauce, a spoon full of chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and celery salt according to test.
- Let it boil.
- Drink it twice a day for quick relief. This is one of the easy and effective home remedies for stuffy nose.
8. Neti Pot for Nasal Congestion Relief
Neti pot is specially designed to flush out all impurities in your nasal passage thus, it becomes one of the best remedies for stuffy nose. It is utilized to clear nasal passages by removing the congestion. If you are using this for the first time then don’t use this without any medical practitioner and do not use if you are suffering from flu as well.
- Take a glass and mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm sterile water to make the saline solution.
- Pour the solution into a neti pot.
- Tilt your head over a sink and place the spout of the pot in your nostril.
- Tilt the pot until the water enters into your nasal passages.
- This will clear away the impurities and mucus to reduce the nasal congestion.
- Continue for a minute or two and then switch to the other side. Regularly repeat this process, but ensuring the water completely flows out every time.
9. Saline Solution as a Remedy for Stuffy Nose
Saline solution is one of the helpful remedies for stuffy nose. Mix a teaspoon of table salt in 2 cups of warm water and mix it well. Now, pour this solution in your nostrils with the help of a dropper. It will give you an instant relief from nasal congestion. You can also do this with the help of a neti pot.
10. Basil for Nasal Congestion Relief
Basil is very much effective to get relief from the stuffy nose. Chew 3-4 basil leaves daily before having breakfast and before going to bed at night. You can also make a tea of basil leaves. It will work wonders to cure stuffy nose.
11. Mustard Oil for Stuffy Nose
Mustard oil is very useful to quick relief from blocked nose to do so put 2-3 drops of mustard oil in your nostrils to get relief.
12. Fenugreek for Nasal Congestion Relief
Fenugreek is a good and effective home remedy to unclog a stuffy nose. Boil some fenugreek seeds in a glass of water, and drink it when it is warm. To get quick relief drink this solution at least 2-3 times a day.
13. Spicy Food to Clear a Stuffy Nose
Include lots of red chilies, onions, ginger, and garlic to your food and increase intake of spicy foods when you are suffering from a stuffy nose. It will make it easier to flow mucus from nasal passages, thereby relieving you from stuffy nose.
14. Lemon to Clear a Stuffy Nose
Lemon is another important fruit rich in vitamin C that can remove the stuffy nose problem very quickly.
Take 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and add a pinch of salt and some black pepper powder in it. Mix properly and apply around your nasal area. Make sure the mixture doesn’t reach your eyes while applying.
15. Black Pepper for Nasal Congestion Relief
Black pepper is also very effective in nasal congestion. Take a little powdered black pepper on your palm and add a few drops of sesame oil. Combine the mixture with the help of your finger and then apply it beneath your nose. Inhale the smell and repeat the process whenever required.
16. Carom Seeds to Clear a Stuffy Nose
Add a few tablespoons of carom seeds powder in a handkerchief and tie it. Put this tiny bag near you every time so that you can inhale its smell. The cough curing properties of these seeds will help to get rid of stuffy nose. You can also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil to get quick relief from the congested nose.