Toenail fungus is a very common problem. It is also known as the onychomycosis. The fungus occurs under certain conditions like an abnormal pH level of skin, weak immune system, regular exposure to the moist environment, including sweaty socks, shoes, diabetes and poor hygiene. The fungus is usually not painful until or unless the fungus infection spreads. If fungus is left untreated then it can cause splitting, cracking and total loss of the toenail. Read this article, get the amazing and effective home remedies for toenail fungus.
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus. It can be used internally or topically to cure toenail fungus because it has the ability to maintain the pH level of the skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Epsom salts with the same amount of apple cider vinegar.
- Add six times more hot water to it.
- Let it cool so that it is still a little warm to touch.
- Soak feet in it for twice a day for at least thirty minutes to get rid of toenail fungus.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in eight ounces of warm water
- Add one teaspoon of honey to sweeten the drink.
- Drink this daily to get rid of fungus infections.
2.) Olive Leaf Extract to Treat Toenail Fungus
Using olive oil extract for treating toenail fungus is also an excellent method. Being antibacterial and antiviral in nature, it is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus. It is also helpful to lower cholesterol as well. Take olive leaf extract supplements to cure fungus.
3.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Bacterial Infections
Tea tree oil is one of the greatest home remedies for toenail fungus. Being antiseptic and fungicidal properties are good to take out toenail fungus easily and effectively.
- Clean the infected area with rubbing alcohol.
- Now apply a few drops of diluted tea tree oil.
- Let it penetrate deep into the nail and the infection.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Now take a soft bristle brush and gently scrub the affected area with this toothbrush.
- Repeat this method daily, until you get rid of the toenail fungus.
4.) Baking Soda to Cure Toenail Fungus
Baking soda is the most common ingredient, which can be found very easily in every kitchen. It is also one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus. It also helped to get rid of foot odor.
- Mix one fourth 3% hydrogen peroxide with one and a half cup of baking soda and one and half of Epsom salt.
- Stir it well by adding four cups of hot water.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- After that, add one-fourth cup of white vinegar to the mixture.
- Soak your toenail in the solution for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with fresh water and pat dry the foot completely.
- Repeat this method until the fungus is completely cured or gone.
5.) Listerine Mouthwash to Treat Bacterial Fungus
There is nothing better than Listerine mouthwash to kill mouth bacterias and germs. You’ll be surprised after knowing that it can also be used to get cure toenail fungus. Due to its antiseptic properties, it helps to kill harmful bacterias and fungus. Use this one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus very effectively.
- Take a half glass of Listerine mouthwash and combine an equal amount of white vinegar to it.
- Soak the toenail in the solution for around half an hour and after that scrub the affected area softly.
- Wash it off with clean water and pat dry the infected toe completely.
- Repeat this one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus one or two times a day until the fungus is completely cured.
6.) Garlic to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Garlic the answer to the almost every problem related to the bacterial infections. Whether the infection is external or internal. Due to its anti-bacterial and antifungal properties, it is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus. Compounds like allicin and ajoene help to treat fungus. Use this one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus.
- Take a few spoons of garlic oil.
- Mix the equal amount white vinegar to the garlic oil.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area and around the infected area.
- Cover the toe with a bandage or clean cloth.
- Leave it for 3-4 hours and then remove the cloth.
- Apply this solution daily until you get rid of the fungus infection.
- You can also eat two crushed garlic daily.
7.) Lemon to Treat Toenail Fungus
As we all know that lemon is also very effective to cure bacterial infections due to its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. It is also one of the effective home remedies to get rid of toenail fungus. The citric acid in the lemon juice is very effective to get rid of toenail fungus from spreading.
- Squeeze lemon and apply the juice on the infected area.
- Let it penetrate for around half an hour.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Mix olive oil and lemon juice in the equal amounts.
- Massage with the mixture on the infected toenail.
- Let it penetrate for 1-2 hours.
- Now rinse it off with the warm water.
- In this remedy olive oil will help soothe the skin and lemon will help to cure the infection and control it from spreading.
8.) Lavender oil to Treat Fungus
Due to few evaporative components and antiseptic properties it also one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus. Lavender oil is very effective to fight against any type of skin infections and skin irritations.
- Add five drops of tea tree oil in 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Take a cotton ball and apply the mixture with the help of cotton ball on the affected toenail and the surrounding area.
- Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing off and pat dry the feet properly.
- Repeat this method two to three times a day.
9.) Coconut Oil Remedy to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Coconut oil is one of the home remedies for toenail fungus. Due to fatty acids, it is very useful to take off toenail fungus very effectively. The fatty acids present in the coconut oil treats the fungal membrane by targeting them. Sometimes, the fatty acids work as lipid layers of the fungal membrane and heal them by disturbing their growth. So overall, there is nothing better than coconut oil to cure toenail fungus infection.
- Wear gloves if you have or else wash your hands during and between the applications.
- Apply the coconut oil on the infection and around the toenail.
- Let it dry and penetrate into the affected area.
- Now wash your hands after applying the oil on the fungus because sometimes fungus can spread by a touch if you don’t wash the hands.
10.) White Vinegar to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
There is nothing better the white vinegar to cure toenail fungus. This is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus. It fights with the infections and tries to restore the original pH level of the skin.
- Add 2 cups of warm water in the one cup of vinegar.
- Soak the infected toenail in the solution for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with regular water and pat dry the affected area completely
- Repeat this two to three times a day until the fungus is cured completely