A cough is a rapid expulsion of air from the lungs. A cough is a sudden reflex of humans to clear the throat and breathing passage. The breathing passage is blocked by foreign irritants. This is a common problem that every single person goes through. That itchy and achy throat can make your day tough. Don’t worry, this is not a serious problem and you don’t have to run to a doctor as this article will suggest you the top home remedy for cough.
Kinds of Cough:
- Chesty Cough: These are caused by the build-up of phlegm due to the entrance of dust and virus in the lungs. This is a common symptom of respiratory tract infection. When you are suffering from a chest cough you feel like someone is squeezing your chest too hard.
- Tickly Cough: This kind of a cough is felt in the throat and can irritate you while talking. It gives a tickling feeling in your throat. The affected area in the throat produces a tickly sensation due to which you cough.
- Mucus Cough: Mucus stops the dust and bacteria from entering our body. It is also produced when you are not sick. More mucus is produced when you are suffering from a cold. This mucus gathers in the respiratory tract, which makes you cough. Your chest feels heavy due to the wet mucus cough.
- Dry Cough: This kind of a cough is caused by the inflammation if upper airways. In this kind of a cough, no mucus or phlegm is produced. It is a result of cold and can be triggered by environmental irritants. This can be intense and painful.
Causes of Cough:
- Common cold.
- A whooping cough.
- Environmental irritants.
- Postnasal drip.
- Acute sinusitis.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
- Chronic sinusitis.
Symptoms of Cough:
- Sore throat.
- Postnasal drip (in this you feel as if the liquid is running back to the throat).
- Sore taste in the mouth or heartburn.
- Shortness of breath.
- Stuffy nose.
Top Home Remedy for Cough:
1.) Peppermint Syrup to Treat Cough:
If you want to treat a cough, then first you have to get rid of mucus. Peppermint helps to break down the mucus because of its decongestant properties. The menthol present in peppermint soothes the irritated lining of the throat. It is also loaded with healing properties. Try this amazing remedy for cough.
How to Use Peppermint for Cough:
- Take 4 cups of water in a pan.
- Add 3 tablespoons of chopped ginger.
- Add one tablespoon of dried peppermint.
- Boil this mixture until half is left.
- Add one cup of honey and leave it until it gets dissolved.
- Store this peppermint syrup in a jar.
- Consume this syrup daily to get relief.
2.) Honey to Get Rid of Cough:
This is used as an Ayurvedic remedy for cough as it soothes the irritated linings of the throat. It is known for its analgesic properties that soothe the throat by removing the mucus. It is also loaded with anti-microbial properties which are effective in relieving a sore throat. Honey is more effective than the medicines that contain dextromethorphan (DM), which is a cough suppressant.
How to Use Honey for Cough:
- Take a glass of warm water.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this daily to relieve chest congestion.
- You can also consume raw honey.
- Consume it 3 to 4 times a day to control coughing.
3.) Lemon, a Home Remedy for Cough:
The vitamin C present in lemon soothes the irritated airways of the throat by fighting infection. Lemon helps to strengthen the immune system. If your immune system is strong you do not catch a cold or flu easily. It loosens the mucus and hence relieves you from cold. Try this astonishing remedy for cough.
How to Use Lemon for Cough:
- Take 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture 2 to 3 times a day for relief.
- You can also add cayenne pepper to this mixture.
4.) Ginger to Cure Cough:
This natural anti-viral kills the bacteria that are responsible for a cough. It acts as a decongestant that helps to break the mucus. The vigorous antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of ginger boost the immune system.
How to Use Ginger for Cough:
- Take a glass of water in a pot.
- Add some crushed pieces of ginger.
- Boil them together for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink it 3 to 4 times a day.
- You can also add lemon juice or honey to taste.
- Chew raw ginger throughout the day to reduce coughing.
5.) Turmeric, a Home Remedy for Cough:
This yellow colored herb has medicinal properties that help to ease the symptoms of a cough. The anti-bacterial nature of turmeric due to the presence of curcumin compound assists in the treatment of a cough. Curcumin helps to get rid of phlegm and relieve chest congestion. This spice heats up the body and provides instant relief from sinus and lung congestion.
How to Use Turmeric for Cough:
- Take equal amounts of turmeric powder and carom seeds.
- Mix them in boiling water.
- Continue boiling the water until half is left.
- Add one teaspoon of honey and have a dip.
- Drink this liquid thrice a day to experience relief.
- You can also add turmeric in a glass of warm milk.
6.) Garlic to Get Rid of Cough:
The medicinal properties of garlic help to treat respiratory infections such as cold and cough. It strengthens the immune system. A strong immune system protects the body from bacterial infection. It is loaded with anti-microbial components which make it a good remedy for cough.
How to Use Garlic for Cough:
- Boil a glass of water with a few garlic cloves.
- Add one teaspoon of oregano.
- Allow the drink to cool down.
- Add one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this twice a day to relieve soreness.
7.) Marshmallow, a Home Remedy for Cough:
The pain and inflammation relieving properties of marshmallow make it an effective home remedy for cough. It saves the mucous membrane from further damage and helps to break the mucus to relieve congestion.
How to Use Marshmellow for Cough:
- Boil a cup of water for about 10 minutes.
- Add 3 grams of dried marshmallow leaves.
- Allow them to sit in water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain the drink and have a sip.
- Drink at least 3 cups daily to get relief from a dry cough.
8.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Cough:
This red hot spice can also help to ease the symptoms of an acute cough. This hot spice melts the mucus that is trapped in the chest and the respiratory tract. In other words, it loosens the mucus, making it easier for you to cough. It acts as a natural analgesic that helps in reducing the sensation of pain and desensitize the tickling. Try this amazing remedy for cough.
How to Use Cayenne Pepper for Cough:
- Mix equal amounts of cayenne pepper and grounded ginger (1/4 teaspoon).
- Add one tablespoon of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix tablespoons of water.
- Drink this homemade syrup 2 to 3 times a day for relief.
9.) Almonds for Cough:
The phytochemicals and antioxidants present in almond make it an amazing remedy for cough. The almond nut contains ingredients and chemicals which can improve a cough. It has nutritional properties that relieve the symptoms of a cough.
How to Use Almonds for Cough:
- Souse 5 to 6 almonds in a bowl of water.
- Let them be immersed for at least 8 hours.
- Crush them to make a smooth paste.
- Add one teaspoon of butter.
- Eat this daily to get rid of a cough.
10.) Grapes for Cough:
Your coughing directly depends on the mucus. So if you want to stop coughing it is necessary to get rid of mucus. Grapes is a natural expectorant which helps in releasing the mucus from the respiratory tract. The vitamin C content of grapes neutralizes a cough by reducing inflammation. It tones up the lungs which make it an amazing remedy for cough.
How to Use Grapes for Cough:
- You can chew grapes throughout the day.
- Prepare a fresh grape juice for yourself.
- Add one teaspoon of honey in grape juice for effective results.