How would you feel when you see the acne you sputtered out last night turned into a scar leaving your face with a dark blemish? Acne scars are pretty common these days. Every other face you spot will have one of those scars. But here we present you some easy DIYs you can try out in your home without opting for those expensive treatments at all those Dermatology Clinics to remove acne scars.
Before we go any further, we should know what is acne and why do we have acne in the first place. Acne is a skin condition that grows like a pimple, majorly on the face. They are tiny red bumps which are sometimes painful. Acne can be caused by any skin type, but it is generally prone to oily skin. It is caused when dirt, oil, dead skin gets caught in the tiny holes or pores of our skin. Acne scars take place when you deliberately pinch the acne on your skin.
Top Home Remedies to Remove Acne Scars
1.) Lemon to Remove Acne Scars
This isn’t a surprise ingredient. Lemon has some great antioxidant properties. It is organic in nature and according to studies, lemon has alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) which helps in healing scars. As it is citric in nature, it contains various acids, which can help treat scars and also various other ailments.
- Squeeze a lemon in a bowl. Take a cotton ball and dip it in the lemon juice.
- Dab the cotton ball on the affected area and leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water and pat it dry with a paper towel or dry face towel.
- Continue doing this process for 2-3 weeks.
2.) Vitamin E to Treat Acne Scars
According to a lot of doctors, suggests that vitamin E is a great ingredient to moisturize the skin. Moisturizing the skin helps in overlooking the scars on the face. Vitamin E hydrates the skin and deficiency of vitamin E lead to dry skin and acne breakouts. Therefore, it’s very important to keep your skin hydrated.
- Take some vitamin E capsules, puncture them and squeeze out the oil from the capsule.
- Apply the oil on the affected area and massage it gently on the area in circular motions for 10 minutes till the skin absorbs the oil.
- Leave the oil on the skin for 20-30 minutes and wash it off and pat dry the skin.
- Do this process every day.
3.) Aloe Vera to Subsidize Acne Scars
Aloe Vera is a potent ingredient in our little garden which helps in hydrating the skin, softens it, makes it look healthier and gentle. The sticky, gluey, transparent aloe is a potion for all the skin problems. There are a lot of companies which manufacture aloe vera gels but it is always better to use freshly plucked aloe.
- Pluck a stem of aloe vera and cut a thin sliver. Apply it directly on the face or the affected area.
- Let it dry and let the skin absorb the gel for approximately 30 minutes and wash it off with cool water and pat dry.
4.) Honey to Remove Acne Scars
Honey is yet another natural and a spectacular ingredient to treat a lot of problems. It’s always better to opt for freshly extracted honey without any preservatives as fresh honey has a lot of nutrients and vitamins, which not only treat scars but also various other problems too.
- Take a small amount of honey on your fingertips and apply it directly on the affected area, generously.
- Massage it in circular motions for 10 minutes and wash it off with cool water and pat dry.
(For quick results, add a tablet of aspirin to honey.)
5.) Cucumber to Cure Acne Scars
Cucumber is a great coolant for the skin, it not only hydrates the skin but also enriches the skin and body with vitamins and magnesium. It is widely used in a lot of facial masks, eye masks.
- Take a fresh cucumber and cut it into thin slices.
- Apply it on the affected area and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Now discard the cucumber slices and rinse the face with cool water.
- Pat dry and repeat the process every day for faster and better results.
6.) Coconut Oil to Treat Acne Scars
Coconut oil is a wonder ingredient, it doesn’t only nourish your hair, but has various other amazing properties. It is abundantly used in the southern part of India. It is used in cooking, or skin related problems, for hair related issues, for lowering down the cholesterol levels in a human body. A suggestion for all the users, always try using virgin coconut oil instead of regular coconut oil.
- Take virgin coconut oil. (If it is in the frozen form, then let it come down to the room temperature.)
- Apply it generously to the scarred area and do not wash it or rinse it with water.
- If you feel heavy, then clean it using a cotton pad and a cleanser.
7.) Potato to Remove Acne Scars
This is one of the most favorite vegetables’ all over the world. But little did we know it is an amazing product for healing our skin problems. Potato is rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Take a medium sized potato and cut thin and thick slices of the potato.
- Place the potato slices on the affected area and let the skin absorb the juice.
- Massage the slices on the face and let the slices rest for 15 minutes and rinse the face with warm water.
- Pat dry and repeat the process every day.
8.) Baking Soda to Remove Acne Scars
Baking soda is the common name for sodium bicarbonate and according to scientists it has the property of exfoliating the skin if used as a scrub. It has a million good properties to deal with. It is a very underrated ingredient in our kitchen that can work wonders if used at the right moment.
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda and a little water and mix them well in a bowl to form a thick paste.
- Gently massage it over the scarred area.
- As baking soda is slightly coarse in nature, so don’t leave it for too long.
- Rinse it off with warm water after a minute or two.
- Apply a mild moisturizer after washing the face.
9.) Sugar scrub to Get Rid of Acne Scars
Studies say that sugar, which is extracted from sugar cane contains glycolic acid which removes dead skin. It helps in cell regeneration. Sugar scrub is among the easiest DIYs and also very effective.
- Take a tablespoon of sugar crystals or castor sugar and add half a tablespoon of virgin olive oil to the sugar.
- Mix them well and then add a few drops of lime juice to the mixture. Stir all the ingredients and apply on the affected area.
- Massage in circular motions and let it dry and rinse it off with water and pat dry using a hand towel.
10.) Turmeric to Cure Acne Scars
Turmeric is an extremely common ingredient in every household. It is known as a super food as it has some amazing medicinal properties. Turmeric also clears out the skin, whitens it, and gets an instant glow. It helps in removing tan. People use it as a natural medicine, as it’s applied on external wounds and is also mixed with milk as a pain killer.
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric powder and take a little amount of milk.
- Mix both the ingredients well to form a paste.
- Apply the paste over the scarred area and let it dry for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with water and pat dry.
- Do this process twice in a day for better results.
11.) Fenugreek Seeds to Treat Acne Scars
Fenugreek seeds which are also called the root of fledging. It has great antioxidants, which help in treating a lot of skin related issues. It has a lot of beneficial properties that can treat acne pretty well. Not only this, it can also give you a fairer skin and solve all the skin complexion issues.
- As they are seeds so they need to be broken down, so, take a pan and add two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds.
- Add two cups of water and keep the flame on medium. Keep stirring until the seeds dissolve in the water.
- A gluey paste will be formed.
- Apply it on the face once it has cooled down and you can even store it for further usage.
- After the paste has dried, wash it off with water and pat dry.
12.) Tomato to Remove Acne Scars
Those tarty, little red balls can also treat acne. Tomato is again a super food and which is readily available in our refrigerator. Studies show that tomato has antioxidants and they provide strength to our bones.
- Take a medium sized ripe tomato and grind it to form a pulp.
- Apply on the face and leave it for 15-20 minutes until it dries.
- Wash it off with water and pat it dry.
- Do the process daily for a week or two for better and faster results.