You all are aware of that yellowish, waxy, oily substance produced by ear canal is known as Ear Wax or Cerumen. When your gland produces more wax, it’s necessary to remove it. It happens when you feel fullness in the ear, an uncomfortable sensation in the ear, noises in the ear, itching, and temporary hearing loss. Sometimes this wax makes you uncomfortable and takes your so much time to come out of your ears, you use multiple ear buds, cotton balls, bobby pins, and other objects to remove this wax. However, sometimes these objects push the ear wax and form a blockage in the ear canal. Don’t worry, we guide you in this article to remove ear wax at home.
Earwax is also known as Cerumen. Cerumen is yellowish waxy substance produced in the ear to protect the ear canal from dust particle, microorganism, and foreign particles. Earwax also works as a barrier for fungi, bacteria, insects and water. Major components of earwax are fatty acids, both saturated and unsaturated, alcohols, and cholesterol. Excess of Cerumen forms blockage in the ear canal, hearing aid and press against the hearing drum which leads to hearing loss. It also happens due to the production of less fluid form in Cerumen, But you need not worry,we have some easy ways to remove the ear wax .
Sign and Symptoms of Ear Wax
- Ear wax can be in lighter (yellow) or darker (brown) in color. It’s not necessary that darker color indicates Ear blockage.
- A sudden or partial hearing loss, which is usually temporary.
- Ringing and buzziness in your ear mean you need to remove ear wax.
- Feeling of fullness in the ear.
Home Remedies to Remove Ear Wax
The ear is a delicate and intricate area, including the skin of the ear canal. Therefore, special attention and care should be given. There are many several remedies that you can perform at your home to get that sticky wax out of your ears and without hurting your ear.
1. Salt Water Remove Ear Wax
A Salt water is the best solution to remove ear wax. Saltwater tenders the accumulated wax which causes infection and irritation in your ears. It softens the wax from inside and makes it easy in removing the wax from ears.
- Mix tablespoon water in half cup of boiled water until salt dissolve.
- Dip the cotton ball to absorb the saline solution.
- Tilt the affected ear up to the sky, Squeeze the cotton ball to put a few drops in ears.
- Be in the same position for 3-5 minutes.
- Tilt the ear in the opposite direction to drain the saline water.
- Clean the outer part of the ear with the clean cloth to remove the soft wax.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide to Getting Rid of Wax
A Hydrogen peroxide is another effective remedy to remove ear wax. Hydrogen peroxide has effervescent properties which remove the wax and debris easily.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and water in equal amount.
- Make sure hydrogen oxide should not be more than 3%, it may harm if exceeded the quantity.
- Fill ear dropper with this solution.
- Tilt your head sideways and put 2-5 drop of this solution
- Tilt your head in other directions so the extra solution drain out.
- Wipe away the ear wax with the clean cloth.
3. Baby Oil to Remove Ear Wax
The baby oil contains minerals which are not harmful to the skin and make the skin softer. Same goes for the ear wax, it makes the wax soften and easily removed. To soften and easy removal you can try baby oil.
- Fill the dropper with baby oil.
- Tilt the affected ear towards the sky.
- Put 3-5 drops of baby oil in the ear.
- Place the cotton ball in the ear so that the oil stays in the ear.
- Leave it for several minutes.
- Remove the cotton balls and tilt your ear in the opposite direction, so that extra oil drain out.
- Clean the ear opening with soft cloths.
4. Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol
This amazing mixture will surely amaze you, as alcohol is a drying agent and evaporate at a lower temperature. Vinegar also helps in a fight with bacteria, fungi and prevent the skin infection. This remedy has been used from ancient time to remove ear wax.
- Mix the white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in equal amount in the bowl.
- Let the cotton ball absorb this mixture, tilt your affected area in sky direction and put 2-3 drops of this mixture.
- Again, tilt your head in the opposite direction so that gravity drains out the extra solution and ear wax from ears.
- Clean the outer part with ear buds.
Note: This remedy is also for the swimmer’s ear.
5. Olive Oil to Get Rid of Ear wax
Olive oil has some antiseptic properties which are not harmful to the skin. The Olive oil is also the best remedy to remove ear wax. This softens the skin and easily removes the wax of the ears.
- Slightly warm the olive oil.
- Put 3-4 drops of olive oil with help f of dropper on the affected areas.
- Keep the oil for 10 minutes, so that the wax become tender and easy to remove.
- Tilt your head, remove the extra olive oil and wax with the help of cotton buds.
5. Mineral Oils to Remove Ear Wax
The mineral oil contains various minerals which are not harmful to the skin. Slightly warm oil will help you in removing the wax so easily without giving any negative effects to the skin. This will help in softening and losing the hard wax.
- Slightly heat the oil.
- Put 3-4 drops of mineral oil on the affected ear by the help of the dropper.
- Keep the oil for 8-10 minutes, So that wax will absorb the oil and become soft.
- Tilt your head in another direction so that extra oil and wax can be easily removed.
6. Almond Oil to Remove for Ear Wax
Almond oil works as a lubricant and softener to remove ear wax. Room temperature almond oil Remove the build up ear wax so easily.
- Filled the dropper with room temperature almond oil
- Put 3-4 drops in your ear where the wax is build up.
- Keep it for 8-9 minutes, so that ear wax gets oily and soften.
- Tilt the head in the opposite direction, and keep the tissue in the ear so that extra oil will come out with wax.
- Clean the ear with a tissue.
7. Baking Soda to Remove Ear Wax
Baking Soda is a useful remedy to remove ear wax. The water-based solution, which consisted of 10 % of baking soda for softening the excess accumulation of ear wax.
- Add the ¼ teaspoon of the baking soda into 2 teaspoons of water.
- Tilt your head and put 3-4 of baking soda solution drops with the help of dropper on the affected ears.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, then with the help of rubber bulb syringe, flush the warm water into your ear.
- Tilt the head in the opposite direction so that excess of the solution and dissolved wax comes out of the ear.
- Clean your ear with the soft cloth.
8. Glycerin to Remove Ear Wax
Glycerin is a natural moisturizer for the skin, which makes the skin softer. In this case, glycerin works as to lubricate and soften the ear wax by losing it. This is mostly used the method to remove ear wax with glycerin.
- Fill glycerin in the dropper.
- Tilt your head towards the sky, put 3-5 drops of glycerin in your affected ear.
- Put the cotton ball in the ear so that the glycerin will stay inside.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and then again tilt your head in the other direction so that the extra glycerin will come out with wax
- Clean the ear with cotton buds.
9. Omega-3 Fatty Acids to Remove Ear Wax
Omega-3 Fatty Acid is one of the causes of excessive ear wax. As the deficiency of omega-3 fatty acid, raise the production of ear wax. Similarly, increasing intake omega-3 fatty acids will decrease the production of ear wax.
- Purchase a high quality of omega-3 acids
- Take the advice from the doctor for its proper dosage.
- Also include rich omega-3 in your diet like cod liver oil, walnut, salmon, avocados, sardines, mackerel and ground flax seeds.
10. Warm Water to Remove Excess Ear Wax
To remove ear wax you can use warm water, as warm water loosens the accumulated wax and make it easier to remove ear wax easily. Flushing water in your ear is very helpful in reducing the ear wax. It’s mandatory to use clean and filtered water.
- Fill a rubber bulb syringe with warm water.
- Tilt your head in an upward direction.
- Pull out the outer ear, with the help of a syringe, put the small amount of water into the ear.
- Leave the water for a minute, again tilt your head in the opposite direction so that extra water comes out with wax.
- Wipe the ear with a clean cloth.