‘Any woman can wear a ravishing outfit, but it is her nails that make the statement’. Gel nails are very popular these days as they can last for a couple of weeks with the same shine without cracking and chipping. They come in a variety of designs and colors and are made harder by being cured under a UV lamp. But as you know they come with an expiry date and when they start cracking and splitting it is time to take them out. For this you don’t have to empty your pocket in a salon as in this article, you will find some best ways to remove gel nails. This will also work best if you are bored with the old design and want a new one.
Advantages of Gel Nails:
- They stay for a longer time.
- You can create new designs easily.
- They dry instantly, thus saving your precious time.
- They look glossy and natural.
Disadvantages of Gel Nails:
- The UV rays used in gel nails can lead to cancer.
- Your nails become very thin and brittle.
- If the nail breaks it may cause a lot of pain.
- Removal of gel nail can make your nails dry and brittle. This is because acetone is used for its removal which is very dry.
- The natural nail takes at least 6 weeks to recover after removing the gel nail.
Best Ways to Remove Gel Nails:
Method 1: Acetone to Remove Gel Nails
For this, you require cotton balls, pure acetone and square pieces of aluminium foil.
Acetone has the quality to remove the nail oils and hence the gel nails. The only thing you have to keep in mind while using acetone is that you should apply it only on the nail and not on the skin. The reason for this is that acetone is very dry and can make your skin rough. Follow the steps given below to remove gel nails.
Steps to Follow:
- Start with one hand at a time.
- Use the coarse side of the filer to remove the shiny coat of the gel polish. Remember, to remove only the top layer. If you will go too deep it can damage your nail bed by making it rough.
- Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly on the cuticles of your nails. This will act as a barrier and prevent the nail from dryness and damage. Use acetone only on your nail and not only the finger. In order to do this, you can cover the fingers.
- Take 10 cotton balls and soak them in acetone. They should be completely dipped in it. For every finger, you have one cotton ball so it is necessary that it should be soaked well in acetone.
- Place the cotton ball on each nail of the finger.
- Cut an aluminium foil in square pieces. Don’t keep it too small because you have to wrap it around your finger.
- Wrap the aluminium foil around your nails. This is done to ensure that the cotton balls stay at their place so that the nails get soaked in acetone. The aluminium foil traps the heat of the body and thus helps in process of acetone. You should not use a plastic wrap because acetone is strong and can melt it.
- To take out the gel nail easily it is necessary to have patience. Wait for as long as possible otherwise, all hard work will be wasted. Wait for at least 15 minutes, so that the acetone can do its work.
- Remove the aluminium foil and the cotton balls. Scrape the nails a little and the gel nail will come out easily. Don’t be too harsh on your nail because it can cause permanent nail damage. If it is not coming out easily soak your nails in acetone for some more time.
- The acetone will dry out your hands and nails. So hydrate and moisturize them with a good moisturizer. You can use vaseline to hydrate and moisturize your nails. You can also use nail oil.
- Repeat the same process with the nails of the other hand.
- This whole process to remove gel nails of one hand will take 25 to 30 minutes.
Note: You should not use acetone on a regular basis as it is very dry and make your nails yellow. Acetone is highly inflammable so keep it away from heat.
Method 2: Use a Filer to Remove Gel Nails
This is another one of the best remedies to remove gel nails at home. Follow the steps given below:
Steps to Follow:
- Use a nail cutter to trim your nails. If your gel nail is very thick, then you can use a coarse filer to file it down. Trimming is necessary, but don’t hurt yourself by going too deep because this can damage the delicate cells and your nail bed.
- Use a coarse grit filer to file the gel nail. Do this in every area of the nail in order to avoid the burning sensation in one place. Don’t be too harsh on the nail. Wipe the dust from time to time in order to see how close you are to the natural nail.
- When you will come close to the natural nail don’t file too much otherwise you natural nail can get damaged. There are two signs that you will notice when you come close to your natural nail. The first one is the dust of the gel nail will reduce and the second one is you will be able to see the natural ridges on your nails.
- Use a finger grit filer to remove the remaining gel nails. Now you have to be very careful and gentle since you are very close to the natural oil. Your small mistake can damage your natural nail. So it is suggested to remove it gently.
- A buffer will help you to make your nails smooth which you might have scratched during the filing process. Use a nail oil or Vaseline to moisturize and hydrate your nails.
Method 3: Scrape it off Using Orange Cuticle Stick
Follow the steps given below:
Steps to Follow:
- File the nails to remove the maximum layers of gel nails. Leave a thin layer of gel nail because further filing can cause nail damage.
- Soak your nails in a nail remover.
- Keep the orange cuticle stick at the edge of your gel nail. Scrape it off to remove the gel nail. Don’t be too harsh otherwise your nail bed will get damaged.
- Do this while your nails are submerged in the remover. This is because the nails will remain soft and it will be easy for you to remove the gel nails.
- Use a buffer to make your nails smooth. It will help to balance all the rough spots thus making your nails smooth.
- Apply a lot of nail oil and moisturizer to hydrate your nails because the actual nail in this process can become dry and brittle. So it is very necessary to moisturize it.
Tips to Remove Gel Nails at Home:
Patience: If you want to remove a gel nail at home the first thing you need to understand is that it requires time and patience. If you will be eager to do it fast, then you may harm your nail bed and all your hard work will go in vain. So remember time and patience are the keys to remove gel nails.
Be Careful While Peeling: Generally, when you read in an article to peel and scrape the nail you often misunderstand it. Peeling and scraping mean that gently removing the first layer of gel nail. Sometimes while peeling you remove the layer of delicate cells. This can cause serious damage to the nail bed.
Right Tools: When you are removing a gel nail at home it is very necessary to use the right tools. Basic things which are required are aluminium foil, acetone, orange stick, nail filer and buffer. You should use a coarse nail filer and clean and rounded cotton balls. It was seen that rounded cotton balls soak more acetone.
Moisturize: As you have already read that acetone is very dry and can make your nails yellow. It is necessary to apply a good moisturizer or nail oil to prevent dryness. You can use Vaseline to hydrate and moisturize your nails.