A condition in which, you feel pesky throat pain. It is caused by the eruption of the throat, which is called sore throat. The scientific name to a sore throat is acute pharyngitis. A sore throat is the first warning sign of common cold, strain on the vocal chords or something more serious, like streptococcus throat. Despite knowing the actual cause of soreness in the throat, we quickly rush to the doctor, but there are many natural home remedies that can fix and heal the problem very easily. But, for taking the right cure, it is better to identify the symptoms first. There are plenty of sore throat remedies that can be used at home to help relieve a sore throat and this article is all about sore throat home remedies.
A sore throat refers to pain, itchiness, or irritation of the throat. You may have little difficulty while swallowing food and liquids, and the pain may get worse when you try to swallow. Throat pain is the primary symptom of a sore throat.
Symptoms of Sore Throat:
- Dry throat.
- Difficulty in swallowing food.
- Pain in the throat.
- Fever & Chills.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Tenderness in the neck.
- Bloated and red tonsils.
- Pain that increases while talking and eating.
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Croaky and subdued voice.
- White patches or pus on the tonsils.
- Nausea or vomiting.
Causes of Sore Throat:
There are some definite reasons, which cause a sore throat.
A bacterial infection is one of the reasons of a sore throat, which arises due to the irritating or inflamed tissues, infection in the tonsils or burning epiglottis. In some cases, STD’s (sexually transmitted diseases) are also the causes of burning throat.
Injuries and Irritants:
If a sore throat does not cure within a week, then it may be a result of some injuries and irritating factors, like, gastroesophageal reflux disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, low humidity, excessive use of antibiotics, a cut due to falling with something pointed in mouth yelling, pollution, smoking, and dust.
Viral illness is the most obvious reason which results in a sore throat. The most common viral infection is the common cold. The other causes are the infection of influenza, herpangina, laryngitis, and mumps.
Some Other Reasons:
Cigarette smoking and certain medical treatments like cancer treatment with radiation or chemotherapy can also result in a sore throat.
Top Sore Throat Home Remedies
1. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Gargle With Warm Salt Water
You must have heard your Grandmother telling you to gargle with salt water whenever you caught a cold or a sore throat. Gargling with salt water isn’t only an old wives tale- it’s about one of the effective remedies to cure a sore throat which you can get with salt water.
When our throats hurt, regardless of what causes it, it is because the cells in the mucous membranes have become swollen and inflamed. Gargling with salt water decreases the swelling, as salts work to draw out water, which in return shrinks the swollen cell and soothes the pain. It also helps to wash away the excess mucous and allows your stuffy nose to drain properly.
- Warm water -1 cup – ½ teaspoon of table salt
- Heat water until it’s warm, but not hot.
- Thoroughly mix in salt.
- Gargle and repeat 3 throughout the day as required.
2. Sore Throat Home Remedies: A Hot Toddy
A Hot Toddy is a classic home remedy for a sore throat -particularly one accompanied by a cold. The honey and lemon relieve your throat, while the alcohol helps you sleep. Using of alcohol is completely up to you, whether or not you use it.
- Bourbon or whiskey (optional) – 2 oz
- Honey- 1 tablespoon of (according to taste)
- Hot water- 4 ounces
- Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
- Lemon (optional) – 1 slice fresh
- Add the honey, and leave the spoon in the mug.
- Pour some hot water into the cup, mix honey very well.
- Add the lemon juice and stir well.
- Place the mug in the microwave for 1 minute and heat until it is nice and hot, but do not boil.
- Add the lemon slice, and enjoy your drink.
3. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Garlic
Garlic is a natural remedy that can cure a sore throat. It is rich in allicin, which is a component that can kill bacteria that can cause pain and irritation.
- Place 1 piece of half garlic on each cheek, and suck it like a cough drop. Sometimes crush your teeth against the garlic piece to release the allicin- there is no need to actually bite it. Try this once a day.
4. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Drink Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its high levels of acidity apple cider vinegar can kill bacteria quite efficiently, and it’s much better when mixed with honey, it can cure the soreness in your throat as well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 1 tablespoon
- Honey- 1 tablespoon
- Very warm water- 1 cup
- Mix the Apple Cider Vinegar and honey in hot water. Drink it while it’s still warm.
- Try this twice a day for better results.
5. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Hot Water Steam
Steam can cure a sore throat and make it easier to breathe if you’re congested. There are ways to use steam as a remedy without leaving the comfort of your home.
- Large bowl- 1 medium
- Hot water to fill bowl about halfway
- Bath towel- 2 pieces
- Eucalyptus oil (optional)
- Boil a pot of water and pour it into your bowl.
- Lean over the bowl so that you can fully inhale the rising steam.
- Drape the towel over your head to create a tent for the steam.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to make it more soothing.
6. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Cayenne
Cayenne with hot water can actually make you feel better. This is one of the effective home remedies to cure a sore throat. Cayenne has a chemical compound called capsaicin that temporarily relieves pain, like Advil or aspirin does. The discomfort of your sore throat has weakened when comes in contact with the Cayenne.
- Cayenne Pepper- 1/2 teaspoon
- Boiling water- 1 cup
- Honey- 1 teaspoon
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Mix honey and stir well.
- Drink it warm- but not hot. Drink throughout the day as needed.
7. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Cloves
Cloves are often used to help relieve the pain in the mouth and throat. This is used as a painkiller is because they contain substance eugenol. It can be a natural painkiller, and can also act like an anti-bacterial as well. But do not substitute clove oil for whole cloves, as it may result in the stomach ache.
- Few cloves
- A glass of water
- Put two cloves into your mouth and suck it until it becomes soft, and then chew and Swallow. Use as needed.
8. Sore Throat Home Remedies: Ginger
Ginger is packed with properties that will cure the pain. It works effectively for sore throats. It helps loosen and remove the mucus out of the respiratory system. Strong aroma of ginger opens up your sinuses. Ginger also boosts circulation, increasing oxygen to your cells, taking out toxins, and speeding up the healing process. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory and fights with bad bacteria too. You can enjoy ginger benefits in a warm, soothing, cup of tea.
- Fresh ginger root- 2 inches long
- Water- 2-3 cups
- Wax paper
- Wash ginger root thoroughly and peel off. Slice into small pieces and cover it with a piece of wax paper.
- Crush and add ginger to the boiling water.
- Let it boil for 3-5 minutes
- Your ginger tea is ready. Drink it as often required.