Nose bleeds, also known as epistaxis , are a common problem and can occur anytime. This happens when the inner lining of the nose is hurt or dry. As this is a very sensitive area a little damage is enough to induce bleeding. In a nose bleed generally, blood comes out only from one nostril. But if it is a serious one then blood will flow heavily from both the nostrils and can also make its way back to the throat. But there is no need to worry. In this article, you will find some natural remedies to stop a nose bleed.
Causes for a Nose Bleed:
- Injury in the nose.
- Age factor.
- Nose blowing.
- Nose picking.
- Certain kinds of nasal allergies.
- High altitude.
- Sinus problem.
- Vascular formation in the nasal passage.
- Having sensation of a liquid present at the back of the nose.
- Red coloured particles on the tissue after wiping the nose.
- There is a sensation that something is blocked in the nasal passage.
- Pain in the nasal passage.
Natural Remedies to Stop a Nose Bleed
1. Ice Cubes to Stop a Nose Bleed:
One of the most simple method to stop a nose bleed. The high temperature of the ice cubes will constrict the blood vessels and slow down the blood flow. It will also reduce the inflammation if the nose bleed is due to some injury in the inner lining.
- Take some ice cubes from the refrigerator and wrap it in a clean cloth.
- Sit in an upright position and tilt your head back.
- Apply this compress on the bridge of the nose.
- Do this at least for 10 minutes to slow down bleeding.
- Repeat the procedure and gradually it will stop.
2. Salt Water for a Nose Bleed:
Dust, pollen or gunk can cause the nasal allergy which leads to nasal irritation which can further cause a nosebleed. The salty water soothes the inner linings and reduces irritation and inflammation in the nasal passage. It will also moisturise the inner linings.
- Take half cup of lukewarm water.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Stir it well and allow it to settle down.
- Use a dropper and drop 2 to 3 drops of this saline solution in one of the nostrils and meanwhile keep the other nostril closed.
- Gently blow out the water.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times a day.
3. Medicinal Herb to Treat Nose Bleed:
The astringent and antispasmodic properties of nasal leaves make it one of the most valuable herbal remedy to stop a nose bleed. It is one of the safest ways. The iron content present in nettle leaves is an excellent blood builder and the presence of vitamin C aids in iron absorption. It also cures allergies, which can act as a trigger for a nose bleed.
- Sit in an upright position and tilt your head backwards.
- Either you can inhale the fumes of nettle leaves or you can drop the nettle leaf juice in your nostrils.
- Do this 3 to 4 times.
- You can also eat nettle leaves daily if you have chronic bleeding in dry seasons.
4. Coriander to Stop a Nose Bleed:
Coriander leaves are a good source of vitamin C, which helps in the formation of collagen that is necessary to keep the nasal membranes moist. The cooling properties of coriander stop a nose bleed and balance the pressure of blood in the vessels.
- Use a dropper to drop some fresh coriander leaves juice in the nostrils to stop a nose bleed.
- You can also apply some coriander leaf paste on the forehead to stop nose bleeding.
5. Lemon Juice to Stop a Nose Bleed:
The acidic properties of lemon can halt a nose bleed. It also has a high content of vitamin C, which strengthens the blood capillaries inside the nasal cavity.
- Sit in an upright position with your head tilted back.
- Trickle 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice in both the nostrils.
- Use a clean dropper.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times.
6. Oranges to Cure Nose Bleed:
This juicy and sweet fruit is famous for its high concentration of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in the formation of collagen, which strengthens the blood capillaries in the nose and moist the inner linings. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce inflammation. Eating oranges will help to stave off nose bleeds.
7. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop a Nose Bleed:
Organic apple cider vinegar helps to restore the natural clotting properties of blood. It is a natural antibiotic as well as an antiseptic that fights against bacteria and prevents allergies. It helps to seal the broken blood vessels inside the nose.
- Soak cotton balls in organic apple cider vinegar.
- Place the cotton balls in both the nostrils.
- Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can repeat the process if needed.
8. Steam for Nose Bleed:
If you have a nose bleed due to the dry atmosphere, then you can increase the humidity to stop a nose bleed. Steam inhalation will keep the inner linings of the nose moist. It will strengthen the blood capillaries.
- Boil water in a large size bowl.
- Bring your face above the bowl.
- Cover your head with a cloth so that the steam does not escape.
- Inhale the steam for 8 to 10 minutes by breathing gently.
9. Petroleum Jelly:
The lubricating and coating properties of petroleum jelly helps to stop a nose bleed by keeping the inner linings of the nose moist. It helps to soothe the irritated nasal membranes.
- Take some petroleum jelly with your index finger and smear it in both the nostrils.
- Do this several times a day to keep the inner linings moist and stop a nose bleed.
10. Basil Leaves to Stop a Nose Bleed:
Basil leaves contain certain medicinal properties that stop a nose bleed and soothes the irritation in the nasal passage.
- Chew some basil leaves on a daily basis.
- Trickle some basil leaves juice in both the nostrils.
- Do this several times a day.
11. Quick Fix to Stop a Nose Bleed:
This is one of the easiest methods to stop a nose bleed.
- Sit in an upright position with your head little forward. Don’t tilt your head backwards as the blood can flow back to the throat.
- Compress the softer part of the nose, which cause bleeding with your thumb and finger.
- Pinch the nose for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently release the pressure.
- Keep sitting in that position for next 5 minutes.
- Repeat it whenever your nose bleeds.
12. Onion Slices to Stop a Nose Bleed:
Onion juice has a good content of vitamin C, which forms collagen that is necessary to moist the inner linings of the nose. It also strengthens blood capillaries of nasal membranes. It is a good clotting agent and hence is effective to stop nose bleeding.
- Cut an onion into thick slices.
- Place them under your nose and inhale the fumes.
- You can also use onion juice and trickle it in both the nostrils.
- Repeat the process.
Preventive Tips to Avoid a Nose Bleed:
- You should include dark green leafy vegetables in your diet as they are high in vitamin K, which is necessary for proper blood clotting.
- Keep your inner linings of the nose moisturized as they are very sensitive.
- Intake of vitamin C as it is responsible for the formation of collagen, which keeps the nasal membranes moisturised.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. It keeps your body hydrated and prevents the inner linings of the nose from dryness.
- Consume gooseberry as it is rich in vitamin C, calcium and Iron.
- Avoid smoking as it irritates and dry nasal passage.
- Eat brown bread as it contains nutrients like zinc, which is necessary to maintain blood vessels.
- If you have frequent nosebleed then to prevent it mix 2 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it 3 to 4 times a day.
- To avoid nose bleed eat one teaspoon of gulkand every day.