Nose bleeding is a common problem for both adults and children. In many cases, a nosebleed may indicate a serious medical condition, which requires medical help. Nosebleed seems more mellow dramatic and scary for not only children but the grown up as well and almost all of us experience the problem of nose bleeding at some point in our lives. In this article, we will discuss a few natural remedies that will help you to stop a nosebleed easily.
Causes of a Nosebleed:
The level of seriousness caused due to a nosebleed depends on upon various factors like the frequency and location. Some common causes of nosebleed include:
- Foreign bodies.
- Chemical reaction.
- Nose picking.
- Respiratory infection.
- Excessive usage of aspirin.
- Sinus infection.
- High blood pressure.
- Overuse of nasal sprays.
- Nasal polyps.
- Change in altitude.
- Nasal surgery.
Symptoms of a Nosebleed:
- Blood from the nostrils.
- Blocked nasal passages.
- Reddish brown particles while wiping the nose.
- Nasal deformity.
- Problems in vision.
- Facial pain.
- Hearing problem.
- Swelling of nasal passages.
Natural Remedies to Stop a Nosebleed
1. The ACV Remedy
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent and easily available natural remedy that helps to treat various medical conditions. No list of Natural remedies is complete ACV. It also helps to stop a nosebleed and prevent excessive blood loss by sealing the broken walls of the blood vessels inside the nose.
- Simply soak cotton balls in ACV and place them on the bleeding nostril.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes then remove the cotton balls.
- As an alternative, you can also mix 2 teaspoons of ACV with a glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution thrice a day to stop a nosebleed.
NOTE- Always use organic ACV that contains the “mother”.
2. Saline Water to Stop a Nosebleed
Saline water remedy is often used for nasal irritation and infections during common cold and sinus. This is because it helps to clear blocked nasal passages and also treats a bleeding nose. It helps to moisturize the nasal passages and reduce the irritation of the nasal membrane.
- Simply add a pinch of salt to half a cup of water and stir well.
- Use a neti pot to pour water in your nose.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily until the bleeding stops.
3. Cayenne Pepper to Stop a Nosebleed
The benefits of Cayenne pepper are not just limited to savoring your taste buds. It is also a cure for various health problems. This natural remedy helps in adjusting the flow of blood and promotes fast coagulation. It travels from your nasal passage to the circulatory system and takes off the blood pressure from the hemorrhaging areas. The presence of Vitamin C helps to strengthen the blood capillaries and prevent recurrence in future.
- Add a teaspoon of Cayenne pepper in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this solution daily.
- Include Cayenne pepper in your daily diet.
- This will help to stop a nosebleed fast.
4. Pinch the Nose to Stop a Nosebleed
One of the easiest home remedies and the best time-honored cure to stop a nosebleed is to pinch your nostrils together. This helps to stop the bleeding immediately until you get some medical help.
- Simply use your thumb and index finger.
- Now, pinch the soft part of your nose below the bony bridge.
- Continue doing this for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Continue breathing through the mouth is necessary while performing this.
- Release the nostrils gently and sit quietly for about 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy as necessary or every time the bleeding triggers.
Note: Do not lay flat while performing this remedy as this can make you swallow the blood. Tilt your head backward or put your head between your legs. Do not try blowing your nose as it can trigger more bleeding.
5. The Cold Compress Remedy
The cold compress is another common home remedy to stop a nosebleed. Cold temperature tends to constrict the blood vessels, thus slowing down the flow of blood. This remedy will eventually stop the bleeding within a few minutes.
- All you need to do is, simply wrap a few ice cubes in a thin and clean towel.
- Now, sit in an upright position and tilt your head backward.
- Place the ice pack across the bridge of your nose for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy as needed or whenever the nose bleeding triggers.
Note: We do not recommend applying the ice directly on your nose.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop a Nosebleed
No list of natural remedies is complete with mentioning the health benefits of Apple cider vinegar. ACV is very effective to stop a nosebleed quickly. It protects the body from excessive blood loss and also helps to seal up the broken blood vessels.
- Simply soak a small cotton ball in ACV.
- Place it directly into the nostril.
- Leave the soaked cotton ball in place for at least 10 minutes.
- You will witness that the bleeding stops within a few minutes.
- You can also use distilled white vinegar in place of ACV.
- Another alternative is to simply mix 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered ACV in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution thrice a day to stop a nosebleed.
7. Cayenne Pepper to Stop a Nosebleed
Fourth on the list is Cayenne pepper that is another effective home remedy to stop a nosebleed. It simply works like a cell stimulant and regulates the flow of the blood in your body. Thus eliminating heavy pressure from the hemorrhaging area, allowing quick coagulation of blood.
- Simply add A teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to a cup of warm water.
- Drink this water and pepper solution to stop a nosebleed.
- People suffering from frequent nosebleeds can take cayenne capsules thrice daily.
- Consult your doctor for the correct dosage.
- Including cayenne pepper in your diet can also help to stop a nosebleed.
8. Onions to Stop a Nosebleed
Onions are a good clotting agent, that helps to clot the blood, thus helping to stop a nosebleed effectively. This is because of the high content of sulfur present in onions that is the actual cure.
- Simply grate an onion to extract the juice.
- Soak a cotton ball in this juice and apply it to the entrance of your nostrils.
- Keep in place for a few minutes and let the juice do its work.
- As an alternative, you can also cut an onion into thick slices.
- Press 1 slice under your nose and inhale its fumes.
- This will stop a nosebleed within minutes.
- You can also use onion juice as nasal drops to stop a nosebleed.
9. Saline Water to Stop a Nosebleed
Dryness of the nasal passages during the winter season is one of the most common causes of a nosebleed. Saline water is the perfect remedy to moisturize the nasal passages and aid to stop a nosebleed effectively.
- Simply add a pinch of salt in ½ cup of water and stir it well.
- Use this solution as a nasal spray.
- Simply put a few drops of this solution into your nose.
- Repeat this remedy thrice daily, especially during winters.
10. Nettle to Stop a Nosebleed
Nettle is another effective home remedy to stop a nosebleed effectively. It works as an astringent that promotes the clotting of the blood, thus stopping the flow. It also helps to strengthen the capillaries and treat the allergies that trigger nosebleeds.
- Simply inhale dry and powdered nettle leaves to stop a nosebleed.
- As an alternative, you can also extract the juice of a few nettle leaves.
- Use this as a nasal drop.
- Simply put a few drops in each nostril.
- Soon you will witness that the bleeding will stop.
- You can also have nettle tea during dry months when you suffer from a nosebleed.