In this article, we will be discussing the remedies to stop nausea, but first, let us learn about Nausea and its causes. The uneasiness caused in the stomach before vomiting is often termed as Nausea. In simple terms, just the feeling of vomiting is termed as Nausea. Vomiting is the forcible voluntary or involuntary emptying of the stomach contents from the mouth.
Causes of Nausea and Vomiting
There is no such need to worry as the feeling of vomiting of nausea is not a disease. But, it can be a symptom of various other conditions like:
- Motion or Seasickness.
- Early stage of Pregnancy.
- Medication Induced Vomiting.
- Stomach Infection.
- Food poisoning.
- Hangover or over drinking.
- Gallbladder Disease.
- Reaction to certain odors.
- Ulcers or Brain tumors.
- Heart Attack.
- Concussion or Brain injury.
- Some forms of cancer can also give nausea.
- Gastroparesis that struck diabetic patients.
The causes of Nausea may also depend on the individual’s age as for children it occurs during viral infection, food poisoning, lactic allergy, motion sickness, coughing, blocked intestine and high fever.
Natural Home Remedies to Stop Nausea
1.) Ginger Root to Cure Nausea
Ginger is an age-old remedy that helps to cure various medical conditions including Nausea and Vomiting. It can be consumed either raw or in the form of juice. Both the ways are effective to stop Nausea and treat the symptoms. Ginger root promotes the secretion of digestive enzymes that help to neutralize the excessive production acids in your stomach. The phenol present in ginger root helps to flush out the toxins from the intestine and also the digested food which is now waste for your body. All these unwanted elements if stayed inside your body for a longer duration can lead to nausea and vomiting.
- Cut the slices of fresh ginger root and chew them raw.
- This will help to stop nausea easily.
- Also, you can grate a ginger root and squeeze it off to get the juice.
- Take a teaspoon of the juice and mix some honey with it.
- Have this dose twice daily when the feeling of vomiting or nausea struck.
- Ginger tea can also be prepared by adding a few slices of ginger to your regular tea recipe.
- This will also give the same effect and help to stop nausea.
Ginger Ale Recipe:
- Take 2 cups of freshly chopped ginger root in a wok.
- Now, add 2-3 strips of lime or lemon peel to the wok and stir.
- When the ginger and lime soften, add 4 cups of water to it.
- Boil the mixture to brew a bit and then simmer for about 10-12 minutes and cover with a lid.
- Remove the lid and add half cup sugar and stir again.
- Again boil and reduce the mixture to about 3 cups and brew for 15 minutes.
- Strain and separate the solids.
- Refrigerate the syrup in a glass container; you can also store it for up to 7 days.
- Take ¼ cup of the syrup in a glass and pour chilled club soda over it.
- Add ice cubes if needed and flavorings as per taste.
- This is a tasty and effective home remedy to stop nausea and also ease vomiting.
2.) Acupressure for Nausea
Acupressure comprises of putting pressure to specific points on your body that are connected to the body parts and internal organs. The right amount of pressure applied to the chosen point helps to ease the irritation in that particular organ or body part that is linked to that particular pressure point. Acupressure treats many medical conditions and Nausea is on among them. You can use a nausea band to apply the right amount of required pressure by yourself. It is said that utilizing the pressure points in your body will release the neurotransmitters like Serotonin or Endorphins. These chemicals balance or neutralize the excess production or secretion of a chemical within the body that causes discomfort.
Some Acupressure Points for Nausea:
The p6 point or “Inner Gate”
- 2-3 finger widths down from the top of your wrist, e. the base of your palm.
- There is a space between the two large tendons.
- Apply gentle pressure to the area when you feel nauseous.
- This will help to stop nausea when practiced correctly.
Top and Bottom Points
- At the same p6 point, apply pressure from both the sides that is the top and the bottom of your wrist.
- Firmly press the point by applying gentle pressure equally from both sides.
- Hold on the pressure point for 10-30 seconds or maximum up to 5 minutes.
- Breathe deeply throughout the whole process.
- Repeat the remedy as required.
3.) Milk Toast to Stop Nausea
Milk toast and other Bland Foods can help to stop nausea and tame your tummy. The duo is the two most effective ingredients among all other bland foods as Bread absorbs excess acid secretion and on the other hand milk coats your stomach. This makes them an effective remedy and steaming them together is an addition to its health benefits.
- Heat a cup of milk until hot but do not boil.
- Meanwhile, you can toast the slice of bread to save time.
- Pour the hot milk into the cereal bowl and place the toast in it to soak the milk.
- You can also apply butter to the toast and crumble it into the milk.
- Eat this slowly to stop nausea.
- Repeat the remedy as required.
4.) Lemon to Stop Nausea
The murky feeling of nausea and vomiting can be curbed from lemon or other citrus fruits. Lemon also helps to calm your stomach and to stop nausea.
- Slice a fresh lemon into half and place it near your nose so that you can easily smell its citrus fumes.
- They seem to be overwhelming for your stomach and ease nausea.
- Make sure you inhale and exhale the smell properly by taking deep breaths.
- Alternatively, you can also suck on a lemon slice or oranges.
- This will ease the feeling and help to stop nausea.
5.) Cold Compress to Stop Nausea
Applying cold compress on the back of your neck when you are in the midst of a bout of nausea can help to ease the discomfort.
- Find a place to lie down.
- Make sure the head is lying flat on the bed with no pillows.
- Bend your knees and make sure you are continuously breathing.
- Do not shorten the oxygen intake in the whole process.
- Now place the cold compress under the back of your neck.
- This will stop nausea and ease discomfort.
- Sit down with your back up against the wall.
- Pull your knees up and place the head between the knees. Breathe continuously.
- Now, place the cold compress at the back of your neck.
- This will stop nausea.
These exercises are beneficial as they stimulate the flow of blood. It pimps the blood where needed the most and cure uneasiness. Cold compress also helps to maintain the sense of balance in your brain or the stability by changing or stimulating the flow of blood.
6.) Peppermint to Stop Nausea
The scent of peppermint has a remarkable ability to tame an upset stomach and soothe nausea. It has several forms that act as a natural remedy for various medical conditions including nausea. Mint also refreshes the body and ease discomfort.
- Rub peppermint oil directly to your gums to get instant relief from nausea.
- Dip a cotton swab in peppermint oil and apply directly to your gums.
- Repeat if necessary.
- This will help to stop nausea and ease discomfort.
7.) Suck Frozen Fruits
The chills of frozen fruits divert the mind and ease the discomfort caused due to nausea for a few minutes. Meanwhile, the benefits of fruits help to cure the symptoms and stop nausea. Fruits like lime, lemon, oranges, pineapples, strawberries can be easily frozen and consumed. This creates a rush of saliva in your mouth and gives an experience that is better than a wet mouth.
- Cut the chosen fruit into straight wedges and pack in an airtight bag.
- Now place it in the deep freezer to chill.
- Suck on a few wedges when nausea struck.
- This will help to ease the symptoms.
8.) BRAT Diet to Stop Nausea
If the reason behind your nausea is stomach infection then, BRAT is the remedy you should practice. This keeps the stomach infection under control and stops nausea.
A- Apple Sauce
You can also add PP to your BRAT to enhance the taste.
P- Potatoes (boiled)
P- Pasta (lightly buttered or cooked in little oil)
This diet is an effective remedy that helps to soothe stomach infection and stop nausea.
When to Call a Doctor While Suffering From Nausea?
- The feeling of nausea or vomiting lasts for more than a few days.
- There is a possibility of being pregnant.
- If no other treatment is working.
- Nausea while suffering from dehydration is also dangerous.
- If there is blood in vomiting or while coughing due to nausea.
- Severe Headache, Lethargy, confusion decreased alertness.
- Abdominal pain.
- Rapid breathing.