Do you feel a heartburn after finishing your meals? Does your stomach bloat after eating? Do you feel heavy and sleepy after eating? If the answers to all these questions are yes, then you need to get alerted. All these problems are a sign of overeating. Overeating is also one of the main reasons behind the failure of your dieting plan. You eat more when your body goes into a starvation mode. Junk foods are the basic reason behind overeating. The right kind of food will prevent you from overeating. Don’t worry, in this article, you will find some of the best tricks to stop overeating.
Reasons Behind Overeating:
- You eat your food very fast. The stomach takes the time to signal your brain that it is full. Thus, you feel hungry even after eating. You should eat slowly to avoid overeating.
- A particular food is banned and your body craves for it.
- Stress leads to overeating.
- Boredom leads to overeating.
- Food poor in fiber and protein cause overeating.
- Insufficient sleep leads to overeating.
- Eating lots of processed foods.
- Drinking inadequate amount of water cause overeating.
- Missing breakfast and other meals cause overeating.
- You ignore the labels on certain products.
Best Tricks to Stop Overeating
1.) Munch Fiber to Stop Overeating:
Fiber plays an important role in the process of digestion. Soluble and Insoluble fibers are the two types of fiber. Both the fibers can stop you from overeating in their own way. One adds bulk to the stool and other provides the essential nutrients to the body. When your meal is loaded with fiber then your stomach feels full and satisfied for a long period of time. Thus, fiber rich foods stop you from overeating. Fiber-rich foods also help you to lose weight. This is one of the best tricks to stop overeating. Here are simple ways to include fiber in your diet.
- Eat at least 2 cups fresh fruits and vegetables daily to increase the fiber content. Beans, sweet potatoes, pears, green peas, spinach, apples, berries, and oranges are some of the options.
- Eat whole grain bread and cereals instead of eating refined white bread.
- Include brown rice, oatmeal, popcorn and bran cereals in your diet.
- Check the amount of fiber when buying a food product.
- Add wheat bran to foods such as applesauce, meatloaf and cooked cereal.
- Try to have beans every week.
2.) Eat a Fulfilling Breakfast to Prevent Overeating:
Eating a healthy and fulfilling breakfast stops you from overeating in the latter day. When you skip breakfast your body enters into starvation mode. Now when you will have a meal you will eat extra as your stomach will not get give proper signals to the brain. If you eat breakfast you will feel full and satisfied for a longer period of time. Breakfast curbs your appetite.
List of Breakfast That Will Prevent Overeating:
- Peanut Butter: A jar of peanut butter will cut your future food cravings. Just start your day with a whole grain toast coated with two tablespoons of peanut butter. You can add chunks of raisins and bananas for natural sweetening.
- Oatmeal: This is a thanksgiving morning meal that makes your tummy full and prevents you from overeating. It is a fiber and protein packed breakfast. It fills your body with all the essential vitamins and minerals. Walnuts and flaxseeds will just make it palatable.
- Avocado: This is again a wonderful choice to start your day with. What makes it good is the monounsaturated fats and fiber content. This breakfast gives a satisfaction to your stomach and you are saved from overeating.
- Eggs: This is one of the best breakfast options to stop overeating. This is packed with protein and suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin. You can start your day by eating a crumbled egg or an omelet.
- Apples: This is a good choice to stop overeating. Apples are loaded with water and fiber. These qualities help to prevent overeating. You can either bake it with some cinnamon or add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on it.
3.) Hunger Scale to Stop Overeating:
Before consuming food you should understand that how much food is required for the nourishment of your body. There are 5 stages of hunger and you can prevent overeating by using this hunger scale. Here is a hunger scale given to figure out the exact amount of food that your body needs for proper functioning.
- Starvation: This is a condition when your stomach is empty and your blood sugar level decreases due to the lack of food. This results in light-headedness and jitters. In this stage, you face the highest risk of overeating as your stomach is not able to send correct signals to your brain.
- Hungry: At this stage the only thing that comes to your mind is food. It is very necessary to eat at this stage otherwise, your body will enter into a starvation mode.
- Moderately Hungry: In this stage, your stomach will growl and your mind will wander in the garden of foods. This is the perfect eating lap to avoid overeating. The stomach will work properly to give signals to the brain when its full and satisfied.
- Satisfied: At this stage, you neither feel hungry nor full. You have the energy to complete your daily task. This is the right state of satisfaction.
- Full: At this stage, you continue eating and this causes bloating in your stomach. Since you have eaten a lot the taste of the food will not be as delicious as it was when you had taken the first bite.
- Stuffed: This is the stage when you are overeating. If you are at this stage you will suffer discomfort and have a mild heartburn. The heartburn is the result of stomach acids. If you are at this stage you will feel sleepy and heavy.
4.) Consume Protein to Prevent Overeating:
This is one of the best tricks to stop overeating. Proteins are long chains of amino acids that help in the process of digestion. It speeds up your metabolism and hence helps in weight loss. It takes a longer time to digest proteins so your stomach gets time to send signals to your brain when you are full. Eating protein in the morning saves you from overeating in the latter day. People who eat more protein feel more satisfied and less hungry.
Ideas to Incorporate Protein in Your Diet:
- Eat a lot of eggs.
- Keep cheese as an option for your snack.
- Eat one cup of Greek yogurt daily.
- Include protein shakes in your breakfast.
- Top your favorite fruit with peanut butter.
- Eat canned fish to increase your protein intake.
5.) Eat in Every 4 Hours to Stop Overeating:
For a good metabolism and cut down unnecessary food cravings, it is necessary to eat in every 3 to 4 hours. This is also one of the best tricks to stop overeating. If you do not eat anything healthy in every four hours, you will search for some candies or a packet of chips. These foods will increase the risk of overeating. Eating in every 4 hours will prevent your body from going into a starvation mode. You can have a fruit or unsalted nuts in every 4 hours to prevent overeating.
6.) Consume High Volume Meals:
This is one of the best tricks to stop overeating. High volume meals include those foods that are packed with water, fiber and protein. Foods with higher fluid content can curb appetite and stop you from overeating. Foods that are high in water content have lesser calories. This is a good choice for eating more food and fewer calories. These foods keep you full and satisfied. Thus, you stop overeating. Here are some ways to eat high volume meals.
- Before eating dinner finish a plate of salad.
- Include meat, or beans in your dinner.
- Instead of eating dried fruits, eat fresh fruits which have a high content of water.
- Add extra veggies to your dinner plate. You can add steamed broccoli or chopped tomatoes. Baby spinach is also a good choice.