This article will tell you different ways to stop smoking, but let’s first get to know the bad effects of smoking on an individual’s body. Tobacco smoke is considered more harmful to your body, though, there are no safer ways to smoke or encourage the habit of smoking till date. But non-tobacco smoking is still a bit less harmful than the tobacco. Replacing your normal tobacco cigarettes with cigars, hookah or pipes won’t really let you get rid of the habit, but will surely avoid the risks associated with tobacco consumption.
Cigarettes contain about 600 harmful ingredients and when burnt, can generate up to 7,000 chemicals, says “The American Lung Association”. Many of these generated chemicals are poisonous and 69 among them can cause cancer. Researchers say that Cigars have a higher content of carcinogens, toxins, and tar than cigarettes.
While using a Hookah pipe, you are likely to inhale more smoke than you would actually do from a cigarette. Smoke from hookah has more toxins and has a higher amount of carbon monoxide that is harmful to the lungs.
The mortality rate for smokers is thrice than that of people who never smoke. It is also one of the leading causes of preventable death.
Harmful Effects Of Smoking
1.) Respiratory system
The smoke you inhale has a substance that can damage your lungs over time and your lungs lose their ability to filter the harmful chemicals. These chemicals get trapped in your lungs and makes you prone to many diseases and can even lead to cancer.
It causes a condition called emphysema, where the lungs sacs get completely damaged. Whereas in Chronic Bronchitis, the lining of the tubes of the lungs becomes inflamed. Chain smokers also develop Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases (COPD), over time.
2.) CNS (Central Nervous System)
Tobacco has a mood altering drug in it called nicotine. Nicotine travels up the brain within seconds and stimulates the CNS. This gives you an instant energy and makes you feel stronger for a short period. Gradually, when the effect reduces, the individual start feeling tired and low. Food cravings also increase in such cases.
Smoking weakens the power of taste buds and the sense organs. Poor eyesight is one of the harmful effects of smoking. Our body has a stress hormone called Corticosterone that lowers the effect of nicotine on the body.
3.) Integumentary System i.e. Skin, Hair and Nails
Effects on the skin are some of the obvious and very common signs of smoking. Tobacco affects the skin tone and the structure of the skin. Premature aging and wrinkles are the harmful effects of tobacco.
The nails get discolored with pale yellow pigmentation on its surface from holding cigarettes. Same happens to the teeth.
4.) Reproductive System
Tobacco restricts the flow of blood that affects a man’s ability to get an erection. It has harmful effects on the reproductive systems of both men and women. Individuals feel difficulty with orgasm and are at a higher risk of getting infertile.
Top Remedies to Stop Smoking
1.) Oats: A Remedy Touted For Centuries
Oats are the best home remedy that helps to quit smoking and there are people swearing for its effective results. They are helpful in flushing out the toxins from the body; meanwhile, it also lowers the smoke cravings.
- Mix a tablespoon of ground oats with 2 cups of lukewarm milk.
- Leave it overnight and then boil the mixture again the next morning.
- Boil it for at least 10 minutes.
- Drink this mixture after every meal.
NOTE- Avoid taking the mixture at night.
2.) Water: An Ultimate Remedy
Consuming plenty of water is an effective remedy that helps to treat the bad habit of smoking. Water is a great detoxifying agent.
What you need to do is consume plenty of water when you feel the urge to smoke. This will help to decrease your cravings and decrease the withdrawal symptoms.
3.) Ginger Helps Treating Nausea
Ginger is the most common natural remedy that helps to cure nausea, which is one of the withdrawal symptoms of smoking.
- Chew a few freshly cut slices of ginger roots as soon as you feel uneasy.
- Also, you can prepare ginger tea by simply adding crushed ginger in your regular tea recipe.
- Having ginger juice mixed with honey also has the same effect.
4.) Cayenne Pepper: Best Natural Remedy
Cayenne Pepper is helpful in de-sensitizing the respiratory system that’s been affected due to being addicted to tobacco or nicotine. It also lessens further cravings.
- You can use cayenne pepper as a spice to flavor your food.
- Also, you can add a few pinches in a glass of plain water or lemonade.
- This will help you stop smoking
5.) Radish: Helps Quit Smoking
Radish is the most common and a reliable home remedy that helps an individual to quit smoking easily. It makes your immune system strong and helps your body to face the harmful effects of smoking.
- Grate a radish and extract its juice.
- Mix some honey with it.
- Have it at least twice daily to stop smoking.
6.) Grapes Repair Damage
Grapes have properties that can easily flush out the toxins from the body. Including grapes in your daily diet can help you stop smoking. Also, the Grape Seed Extract helps in repairing damaged lungs.
- Eat them raw or mix it with yogurt to make a healthy snack.
- You can also have the grape juice that will also give the same result.
- Grape seed extract can also be included in your diet in powdered or liquid form.
7.) St. John’s Wort Is a useful Herb
John Wort is a herb that is most commonly used in the United States. It helps reduce the cravings of nicotine in your body. It can also be called as Goat weed or Tipton’s Weed.
- A 450 mg capsule of the herb, if taken twice daily can help you stop smoking and will soon alleviate the bad habit.
8.) Ginseng Herb
Ginseng is the key ingredient that helps to stop smoking. This herb helps reduce the cravings of nicotine from your body and fight the withdrawal symptoms. It prevents the release of dopamine known as one of the main components of nicotine.
- Add a teaspoon of ginseng powder to your soups, juices or other foods.
- It is best to take in your morning breakfast.
NOTE- The dosage of Ginseng can be increased or decreased as per your requirements.
9.) Honey Handles Cessation
Honey is known as an excellent remedy that helps to handle cessation. It has beneficial enzymes, vitamins, and proteins. That are helpful for your body and will help you fight the urge for smoking.
- Mix honey with water and have a glass of it every morning.
- You can also add lemon to it as required.
- Alternatively, you can also have a spoon of honey mixed with ginger juice twice daily.
10.) Valerian Herb
It is one of the best-known herbs available that helps an individual to ease out the side effects and withdrawal symptoms of smoking. This includes stress, nausea, anxiety, insomnia, and restlessness.
- This herb is consumed by including in your diet in powdered form.
Some OTC’s Includes:
Continuous smoking causes deficiencies and other damage to your body in various ways. All this is replenished by taking multivitamins and supplements like Vitamin A, C and E. Vitamin A is a proven remedy to repair the damage caused by nicotine consumption and Vitamin E repairs the damaged cells.
Oranges are also a good remedy if you don’t want to go for tablets. Oranges are a good source of Vitamin C and so are the grapes.
12.) Herbal Cigarettes
There are cases when the habit cannot be cured easily. In such cases, doctors recommend Herbal Cigarettes that contain 0% nicotine. Also, they contain herbs like cinnamon, licorice, lemongrass, Corn silk and mint that helps to curb the urge and stop smoking easily.
Do not consume herbal cigarettes like a habit. But medicine because they contain carcinogens that can harm your body if taken for a long period.
Tips And Tricks to Follow When Trying To Be An Ex-Smoker:
- Consumption of sweet, sugary foods in small quantities can cut the urge of smoking and the cravings of nicotine in our body.
- If nothings cure the cravings then a pinch of salt will surely work. All you need to do is lick a pinch of salt when you feel the urge to smoke.
- Licorice stick is an alternative to smoking when you feel the urge to smoke. Just chew a licorice stick. Do this as many times as you feel the cravings in a day.
- Sugarcane stubs are also an option if you do not get licorice sticks. Its sweet taste helps you curb the urge.
- A massage with aromatic oils can help your body to relax, soothe stress and other withdrawal symptoms of smoking.