Sweating is known as a normal bodily function that regulates the body temperatures. Some of the day-to-day activities can reduce your sweating and reduces the odor, making you feel more confident and comfortable. Also referred as perspiration, sweating is a process of releasing salt based fluids through the sweat glands present in your body. In this article, we will be learning about the process of sweating, its causes, and various home remedies that will help you to stop sweating too much than the normal and it also reduces bad odor.
Our body is equipped with an average of 3 million sweat glands divided into two types:
Eccrine Sweat Glands: Located over your body and produces lightweight, odorless sweat.
Apocrine Sweat Glands: Concentrated in the hair follicles of the following parts of your body: Scalp, Armpits, and Groin.
These glands release heavier, fat-laden sweat that carries a distinct odor. Body odor occurs due to the release of sweat from Apocrine glands and mixes with the bacteria on your skin.
Vigorous physical activities, stress, change in temperature (in your body as well as in the environment) and sudden struck emotions lead to sweating. Some of the common areas of sweating on your body include:
- The armpits
- The face
- Palms of the hands
- Sole of the feet
Sweating is also considered very much important and is an essential function of our body process. But, not sweating at all or excessive sweating can both lead to medical problems as the absence of sweat is dangerous for the body because it leads to the risk of overheating or sudden increase in the body temperature. Excessive sweating is also harmful and can cause more of psychological damage than physical. Sweat is mostly 99% water, but 1% of sweat is a combination of salts and fat.
Causes of Sweating
Sweating is very normal and occurs regularly in your daily living. However, there are a few causes that lead to sweating or stimulate increased sweating:
1.) Body Temperature
Elevated bodily or environmental temperatures are some of the primary and common causes of increased sweating.
2.) Stress and Emotion
A few emotions and conditions can break out heavy sweating: Anger, Fear, Anxiety, Emotional Stress, Embarrassment, and Nervousness.
3.) Foods Lead to Sweating
There are a few types of food items that can stimulate increased sweating and this type of perspiration is called Gustatory Sweating is further provoked by:
- Spicy foods
- Alcoholic drinks
- Carbonated drinks
4.) Illness and Medical Problems
Sweating can also be caused by use of medications and a few illnesses such as:
- Low blood sugar levels
- Synthetic thyroid hormones
Home Remedies to Stop Sweating
1.) ACV to Stop Sweating
Apple cider vinegar is known as a mother of all remedies and is a cure for various conditions including Sweating. ACV works to stop sweating by balancing the pH levels of the skin and making it unfavorable for them to thrive.
- If you suffer from Armpit sweating then apply diluted ACV to the area before going to sleep and let it work overnight. Take a bath next morning to wash off the vinegar.
- If you are suffering from excessive sweaty feet you can use ACV mixed in a tub of lukewarm water to soak your feet in it. Soak for about 10-15 minutes, then rinse your feet with plain water.
- For generalized sweating, you can also consume 1 tablespoon of ACV mixed with a glass of lukewarm water and honey. This will help to get rid of bodily perspiration.
2.) Baking Soda for Sweating
Certain acids present in our sweat not only thrive bacteria, but also produce a foul smell. Being alkaline in nature, Baking soda lowers the pH levels of your body parts by counteracting with the acids. Thus reducing perspiration and helping to stop sweating excessively.
- Dust some baking soda to the parts of your body that sweats the most.
- You can also prepare natural deodorant using it with this simple DIY recipe:
- Baking soda 1 teaspoon
- Essential oil like Vanilla, Lemon or Lavender 3-4 drops
- Mix water and baking soda to get a paste like consistency,
- Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil.
- Apply this solution to your armpits.
- Wash off after 15-12 minutes.
- You can also keep it on as it is not harmful to our skin.
3.) Sweat and Lemon
Lemons have always been used to control sweating. The citric acid present in lemons eliminates the odor-causing bacteria and its unpleasant fragrance.
- Cut two slices of fresh lemon and rub it on each armpit or the area that causes excessive sweat.
- Apply it before going to sleep and leave it for 15-20 minutes to work, then rinse off with plain water.
- Alternatively, you can mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of baking soda to make a smooth paste.
- Using a cotton swab, apply it on the body parts that sweat the most.
- Wash off with warm water after 20 minutes.
4.) Coconut Oil Helps to Stop Sweating
Coconut oil has lauric acid, which helps to eliminate bacteria and get rid of the odor. The light fragrance of the oil helps to keep up freshness in the area.
- Take a few drops of coconut oil on your fingers and rub it under your arms or on the excessive sweating body parts.
- Massage and absorb the oil to the skin, avoiding any stains on your clothes.
- Alternatively, you can also prepare homemade deodorant from Coconut Oil
- Using the double boiler technique, melt 2 teaspoons of Shea butter and 3 teaspoons of coconut oil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add 3 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of Arrowroot powder to the oil mixture.
- Add a few drops of your choice of essential oil to it.
- Store this mixture in a jar and apply regularly.
5.) Black Tea Stops Feet Sweating
Tea has Tannic acid, which has antiperspirants and anti astringent properties which constricts the sweat glands, disabling them to transport much sweat to the outer skin. It also reduces perspiration.
- Add 1-2 tea bags to a tub of hot water.
- Soak your feet in it for 15-20 minutes.
- You can also add the tea bags top your bathtub filled with hot water and soak your body in it.
- This will also help to stop excessive bodily sweat.
6.) Sage Herb Controls Sweating
Sage herb has many qualities that makes it a great antiperspirants. It contain Tannic acid that constricts the sweat glands to pass excessive sweat. Sage is also antibacterial and anti-fungal in nature that helps to stop sweating and control perspiration.
- Take a teaspoon of sage powder and boil in 1-2 cups of water.
- Cool it down to room temperature and use it to rinse your armpits and other body parts.
- Repeat this thrice a day to get effective results.
- Alternatively, you can also prepare sage tea by brewing 1 teaspoon of sage herb in a pan of boiling water for 5-7 minutes.
- Drink this tea before going to bed at night; you can also add a few lemon drops for flavor.
- You can also your feet in sage mixed lukewarm water.
- This will also give the desired results.
7.) Tomato Juice for Sweating
The Tomato has astringent properties that help to stop sweating by decreasing the size of sweat releasing pores. Having tomato juice to control sweat is also a folk remedy.
- Extract the juice of a few tomatoes using a juicer and have 1-2 glasses of the juice daily for a week.
- After some time, drink it on alternative days.
- You will yourself witness the results of tomato juice of your body as it controls the perspiration process and stops sweating.
8.) Tea Tree Oil for Sweating
Tea Tree oil proves has a natural astringent and an anti-fungal agent that helps to stop sweating. Therefore, it is recommended by herbalists to control the process of perspiration. You can also apply it to the body part that sweats the most.
- Mix 3-4 drops of tea tree oil with a small amount of water.
- Soak a cotton swab with diluted tea tree oil.
- Finally, applying it to the sweat affected body parts.
- This will help to control sweat and stay fresh for hours.
9.) Wheat-grass Juice for Sweating
Wheat-grass is a very rich source of Vitamin A, B12, B6, C and folic acid. This prevents excessive sweating by controlling the toxins in your blood. It neutralizes the effect of toxins present in your blood so that no more need is left to flush out these toxins in the form of sweat from the body, thus reducing the sweat.
Have a glass of Wheat-grass juice daily for a week or even longer to control the process of perspiration and stop sweating.
10.) Chamomile Help to Stop Sweating
Along with its mesmerizing fragrance, it also has antibacterial properties making it an ideal ingredient to stop sweating. While the fragrance works up to eliminate odor, the astringent present in it constricts the sweat glands so that they produce less sweat. It also helps to keep you fresh throughout the day.
- You can prepare chamomile tea by simply boiling the Chamomile flowers in a pot of hot water and add some freshly cut apple wedges to it.
- Mash it using a wooden spatula and simmer the gas, covering the pan with a lid.
- Let it brew for a few minutes, then strain and drink.
- You can also soak your feet or maybe the body in this tea by simply cooling it down and adding to your bath or feet soaking tub.
- Alternatively, you can also use chamomile essential oil to add to your baths or foot soaks.
- You can also dilute chamomile oil with coconut oil and apply to the sweat prone areas using the massage technique. This will completely absorb the oil in your skin, helping you feel fresh throughout the day.