In this article, we will discuss several remedies to treat a cold. To solve any problem, we need to know the root cause of the problem and it is necessary. This article will help you to find out the reason behind your problem and several home remedies to treat it.
So, what is cold? A cold is an infection of throat and nose. Cold is a communicable disease. It spreads easily through direct contact, if you come in contact with an infected person, sharing and touching will also catch you the germs. Also, if you sweat and immediately drink cold water that also catches a cold. Sometimes cold gets treated on its own in 5 to 6 days. But if it takes longer than usual time then try some home remedies to treat a cold fast at home. It will help relieve cold less than in a week. Check out some effective home and natural remedies to treat a cold naturally.
Types of Cold Viruses:
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
Causes of Cold:
- If you have allergies to dust, you can catch a cold.
- When the season changes from hot to cold or cold to hot, this can also be a cause for the cold.
- If you come into a contact with the an infected person.
- If you feel body ache.
Symptoms of Cold:
- Sore throat
- Watery eyes
- Heavy nose
- Running nose
- Red eyes
Complications in Cold:
There are some complications you can face along with cold. A proper treatment can solve all the problems.
- You can have an ear infection or itching in the ear.
- It can turn into a reason of Sore throat.
- It can turn into a problem of sinusitis. Sinusitis is the infection of the sinus.
- Continuations sneezing can be a reason of a headache and weakness.
- Your body can dehydrate.
Top Remedies to Treat a Cold:
These home remedies and easy treatments will help you to cure a cold and cough faster. You don’t need to spend much money, some useful ingredients in your kitchen will do the trick.
1.) Eat Garlic and Ginger to Cure a Cold
Garlic has the properties such as antioxidant, antimicrobial and antibiotic, which boost the immune system and reduce the inflammation. It fights against the infection and the illness due to cold. It acts as a natural antiviral.
- Take a small piece of ginger and 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- Grate them and mix together. The paste is ready to consume.
- Have this mixture in every 2-3 hours till you get rid of cold. Though the taste and smell of garlic and ginger are very bad, but give you relief.
2.) Turmeric and Milk to Treat a Cold
Turmeric is rich in antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a great home remedy for allergic cold and cough. It clears the infections associated with cold viral.
- Take a glass of warm milk and add a half teaspoon of turmeric.
- If you want, you can add sugar. Otherwise, you can drink it without sugar also.
- Consume this remedy twice in a day, once in the morning and then before going to your bed.
- It is also a very famous treatment for cold and cough.
- Also, it may don’t taste good, but this is considered to be the best old home remedy to treat a cold. You can also drink turmeric milk if you get some injury.
3.) Cinnamon and Honey to Get Rid of a Cold
Cinnamon is highly rich with antioxidant activity. It has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Cinnamon is a good source of fiber, iron, and calcium. It also reduces the blood sugar from the body.
- Heat honey in a pan. Add a pinch of cinnamon.
- Turn off the flame. Now add some lemon juice.
- Consume it twice in a day. You will see the results in 2 – 3 days.
4.) Gargle Therapy to Treat a Cold
It is one of the effective home solutions to treat a cold. The gargle therapy helps loosen the mucus and eliminate phlegm easily opening your nostrils. So try the following steps for gargle therapy:
- Take some warm water and make sure the water is not too hot as it can hurt your throat.
- Add a pinch of turmeric. Now add half teaspoon of salt.
- Gargle twice or thrice in a day to treat a cold. And you can gargle on a daily basis also it will help you to clean your throat.
5.) Spiced Tea to Cure a Cold
It is also a very good prevention for a cough and cold. It contains various herbs, which are good for the immune system and clear a sore throat. The spiced tea is rich in antibacterial and antioxidant properties that help treat a cold fast.
- Take a tea pan boil some water and add tea leaves, cardamom, ginger, sugar, cloves, and black pepper.
- Boil it for 5-7 minutes. Now add milk and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink this mixture 1-2 times a day for better results.
6.) Honey and Lemon to Treat a Cold
Honey is antibacterial and has antioxidant power. It also fights with fungal, bacteria and virus to treat a cold. Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which boosts your immune system. It is great for fighting with cold.
- Take a glass and add some water. Now add a lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey
- Mix well. Drink it twice in a day. This will give relaxation to your throat.
7.) Carrot Juice to Cure a Cold
Carrot juice is also a good home remedy for cold and cough. It will also give you relief from a headache and runny nose.
- Take 3-4 carrots and wash them properly.
- Now with the help of juice extractor, extract the juice of carrots. Now mix black salt in the carrot juice.
- Drink this mixture twice in a day to get relieve from a cold.
8.) Jaggery Water to Treat a Cold
The nature of jaggery is hot, so the intake of jaggery in cold provides you relief and clear a sore throat. It is also good in taste.
- Take water in a bowl and turn on the flame.
- Add some jaggery in water and let it melt properly.
- When jaggery melts properly adds cumin and pepper in the mixture.
- Consume this mixture once in a day to treat a cold and you will see results in 3-4 days.
- Repeat this remedy until you get rid of a cough and chest congestion.
9.) Flax Seed Juice to Get Rid of a Cold
Flax seeds contain high levels of mucilage gum contents, which cleans a sore throat and provide relaxation. It cuts off the causes of cold viral.
- Take a pan or vessel and boil some water.
- Add flax seeds into it and let it thicken.
- When it is completely cooked, add 1-2 teaspoons of honey.
- Now add some lemon juice and consume it hot to treat a cold.
- It will provide you relaxation and you will get rid of your cold faster.
10.) Ginger and Salt to Treat a Cold
Ginger has the properties which can fight off with cold viral. It is an antiviral, which fights against illness and bacteria of cold. Ginger also brings down the body temperature.
- Take ginger and cut into slices and add salt on ginger slices and chew these slices.
- This will help you fight with a sore throat.
- Consume it twice or thrice in a day to treat a cold.
Preventive Measures For Cold:
- Take proper rest and don’t go outside. A cold infected person feels exhausted and weak. So you should take complete rest. Otherwise, it may worsen your condition and may result in fever also.
- Wash your hand with soap and water before eating something and repeat it several times in a day. This is a good habit which keeps you healthy. If soap is not available use sanitizer.
- Use a tissue while sneezing and coughing. Try to sneeze politely if you are around a bunch of a friend.
- Don’t share spoon, glass or anything with an infected person. Drink plenty of liquid like juice, water, lemonade.
- If you feel a scratchy throat, take medicine or consult a doctor.
- If you are infected with common cold then avoid meeting people like office colleagues, friends and other people so that they wont catch this infection.
- Take proper treatment and do not shake hands with anyone, do not share your food, clothes and do not sneeze into the air.
- Avoid antibiotic and medication. If you are infected with the common cold there are some treatments and remedies which will help you to cure your cold at home.
These home remedies to treat a cold are best. The ingredients, which are used in these remedies are rich in several useful properties that will not only fight with your cold but also will protect your body from infection and viruses and will keep your body energetic. Follow these simple and natural home remedies to treat a cold.