A boil is a deep folliculitis, an infection of the hair follicle or oil gland. This creates a red, hard, painful lumps of pus collects in the center. A boil which occurs on the eyelid is called a stye. Its formation begins with tenderness and redness on the skin. White blood cells, bacteria, and protein get stored in the center of the boil and forms pus. They are soppy-to-touch and painful. Boils are of various types like cystic acne, Hidradenitis Suppurativa, pilonidal cyst, and carbuncle or furuncles. Boils may emerge at various places, like breast, face, back, head, scalp, back, groin, underarms, and buttocks. They are highly contagious. Read this article to get tips to treat boil.
Types of Boils:
According to the area or the cause of the inflammation, boils can be differentiated into the following types:
This type of boil generally appears on the face of teenagers. They appear when the oil vessels get blocked up and eventually infected. The cystic acne is different than regular acne.The zone of the infection is a lot deeper than the regular acne, which tends to be a lot slight.
This type of acne is caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus when it spoils a hair follicle. A furuncle can have one or multiple openings, depending upon the number of hair follicles in the general one that was infected. It may cause fever or chills if left untreated.
This type of acne occurs when the sweat glands under the armpits, groin or the breast get infected. It usually has multiple boils. Mainly surgery is required to treat this condition.
This type of boil mainly occurs on the crease of the buttocks. It is formed after the hair follicles in the area become inflamed and infected. Pilonidal cyst results in the formation of a tender nodule which becomes tender and painful. It causes a major discomfort while sitting.
Symptoms of Boil:
Everybody knows how a boil looks like. But, we usually remain uncertain about the type of boil. However, its occurrence depends on the skin conditions and dietetic factors of a person. Here are some warning signs of a boil:
- A red nodule or head on any part of the body.
- Gets bigger with the passage of time.
- Gets filled with pus gives it a whitish appearance.
- Around the ulcer, skin becomes hard and painful.
- Sometimes very itchy.
- Appear on the skin.
- Lymph gets swelled during the development.
- Severe pain
- Red streaks on the skin
- High fever
- Change in appetite
Causes of Boil:
They are caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. These bacteria break into the body with the help of hair follicle or small cuts on the skin. They are also caused due to clogged sweat glands. Some other reasons of the boil are:
- Poor hygiene.
- Poor immune system.
- Friction from tight clothing.
- Poor nutrition.
- Exposure to harsh chemicals.
Home Remedies to Treat Boil
1.) Turmeric to Treat Boil
With the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is effective to treat boil. Turmeric is filled with the enzyme called curcumin which helps in treating in almost every diseases.
- Mix some turmeric powder with water and make a thick paste.
- Apply the turmeric paste on the affected and let it sit on for about thirty minutes. Wash it off afterward. This will ripe faster and boil will pop on its own in a couple of days.
2.) Garlic to Treat Boil
Garlic is also very effective to treat boil. Filled with sulfur-rich compounds such as alliin, allicin and ajoene, garlic makes it the ideal cure for all types of skin diseases and infections. Garlic is the most reliable home remedies skin boils. It is also known for its anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties which not only cures the boils but also reduces the pain right from the first application.
- Try garlic 2 times a day daily till the boil is cured completely.
- Remove the paste after 10 minutes and clean the boil with a soft cloth.
- Apply this paste directly on the boil and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Crush 2 to 3 fresh garlic cloves and add a few drops of water to form a paste.
3.) Milk to Treat Boil
Milk is an effective remedy to treat boils. To try this remedy follow the steps given below:
- Heat one cup of milk and add three teaspoons of salt
- Add three tablespoons of salt.
- Stir the mixture well.
- To make the mixture thick, put some bread crumbles in it.
- Apply this mixture directly on the boil.
- For fastest results, repeat the process for 4 to 5 times in a day.
4.) Corn Meal to Treat Boil
Being a natural absorbent, corn meal is very effective to treat boil. Try this remedy to get rid of boil fast.
- Boil half cup of water and add some cornmeal in it.
- Make a thick paste.
- Now apply this paste directly to the boil and cover with a clean cloth until the pus drains out.
5.) Apply Egg to Treat Boil
Egg white can treat boil very effectively. It is rich in Vitamins A and E, which increases the immunity and protects the epidermis.
- Take an egg and boil it and peel it.
- Wet the white part of the egg and put directly on the boil.
- Cover it with a clean cloth.
- Boil an egg, separate it from the yolk.
- Hold it on the boil using gauze and medical tapes.
- Replace the dressing every six hours.
6.) Onion to Treat Boil
Onion can be used to treat boil. As it is filled with the natural antiseptic properties which are good to cure almost everything.
- Cut the onion into pieces.
- Put a slice on the boil and wrap it with medical tapes.
- Change the dressing every couple of hours.
7.) Parsley Leaves to Treat Boil
Filled with the antibacterial, antioxidant and antifungal property, parsley fight against the bacteria that causes boil infection and also makes the boil to burst faster. When applied regularly, it also cures the inflammation and skin irritation caused by boils.
- Simmer a handful of fresh parsley leaves in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Take some of the leaves, crush them to form a smooth poultice and apply it on the boils because they can burst out and pus will come out on its own.
- Leave on this for a few hours and then remove it with a clean cotton cloth.
8.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Boil
Tea tree oil is one of the superior antiseptics, used for curing all types of skin problems. To treat boil, apply one drop of tea tree oil directly on the boil.
9.) Castor Oil to Treat Boil
Castor oil is helpful to treat boil and gentler on the skin. It can be applied on the boil in an undiluted form.
- Apply a few drops with the help of a cotton a few times a day until you get rid of the boil.
10.) Warm Compressor to Treat Boil
You can treat a boil with a warm washcloth compress. Dip a clean cloth in warm water. For better results, you can add salt to the warm water. Place the warm and wet cloth on the affected area for 10-12 minutes.
Here are a Few Tips to Treat a Boil:
- Consider Taking Ibuprofen:
If boil or stye is painful, take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to reduce the pain.
- Keep the Area Clean:
Always keep the affected zone clean, and avoid touching or rubbing the pimple or stye. If you are suffering from a stye, avoid wearing contact lenses and eye makeup until the stye heals.
- Keep it Covered:
If boil bursts, wrap it with a bandage or gauze to prevent infection while it heals.