In this article, we will be discussing the causes and remedies to treat Diarrhea. In simple terms, Diarrhea is defined as the looseness of the stool and increase in the frequency rate of our bowel movements. It is just opposite to Constipation. Sometimes the symptoms that the patients complain of being the same include, growling sounds from the stomach and abdominal cramps.
The disease got its name from the Greek word “diarrhea” where dia means “through” and Rhea means “flow”. So the flowing through of the stool is termed as Diarrhea. In this kind of disease the frequency of bowel movements increases from normal, i.e. three times a day to five or even more, depending on the severity of the infection. Talking about the consistency of stools, this means that the stool is more fluid than its normal consistency. This leads to excessive loss of water from the body and weakness. It also sometimes depends on the person’s diet as every time the looseness of stool cannot be termed as Diarrhea.
Causes of Diarrhea
The Most Common Cause Of Diarrhea is Rota virus.
There are many various factors for the loosening of the stool, but every time it cannot be considered as a disease, as I said earlier. Because it sometimes occurs due to too much of the water content in our diet that makes the frequency from normal to soft. But if it is watery then you need to consult a doctor and take proper medication as prescribed. Due to infection our stomach, small intestine, gallbladder and the pancreas secrete a large amount of water that makes the stool watery. Although the work of the lower small intestine is to absorb excess water from the digested food. But when an excessive amount of water is secreted, the intestine is unable to work properly and flushes out undigested food to remove excess water from the body which is no longer needed.
Diarrhea In Babies
Infants suffering from Diarrhea are a situation to worry about, unlike adults, the infant’s immune system is not that strong to fight the bacteria causing infection thus leading to the level of severity. Rota virus is the most common reason that causes diarrhea in infants and it tends to usually resolve in 3 to 10 days. Also, children those who are 6 to 32 weeks old, are vaccinated to prevent them from infecting. The vaccine is called Rotateq and is prescribed by the doctors and Pediatricians themselves at the time of birth or when the vaccination course is on.
Causes Of Diarrhea In Babies:
- Prone to food allergy and sensitivity.
- Unhygienic environment
- Bacteria and Viruses
- Improper medications
- Improper bowel movements
If your newborn is suffering from Diarrhea, please make no delay and call the doctor because this disease in infants is very dangerous and can even lead to loss of life. Because excessive dehydration is something that an infant’s body cannot cope up with, so if no proper treatment and medications are provided, this can also result in loss of life. The best remedy is to re-hydrate the body of water and electrolytes. Parents generally prefer ORS and other salt solutions as a recruiting agent.
Home Remedies To Treat Diarrhea
1.) B-R-A-T Diet to Get Rid of Diarrhea Fast
Food for the patients suffering from Diarrhea for both Infants and Adults.
This is the diet given to Diarrhea patients, as all these foods are natural water absorbents and have high fiber contents. So this helps in the hardening of the loosened stool.
2.) Blueberries to Treat Diarrhea
Blueberries are honored as the best remedy for Diarrhea in Sweden. As they contain Tannin and some Astringent Compound that proves good for fighting stomach infection thus, helping to treat diarrhea.
- Having raw blueberries can also help treat diarrhea
- Mix them with yogurt to make a healthy snack.
3.) Probiotic Drinks to Cure Diarrhea Overnight
Probiotics help to meet the mineral and vitamin need of the body and they also helps in better digestion. Thus helping to treat diarrhea fast.
- You can easily buy Probiotic drinks from the nearby stores.
- Prepare them at home by fermenting milk till slightly sour in taste and then refrigerate.
Homemade probiotic drink:
- Chop fruits and vegetables of your choice in a quantity, enough to fill 1/4th of the glass jar.
- Add a tablespoon of raw honey and filtered water to the jar.
- Tight the lid and shake the jar well.
- Place it in room temperature, this will take 4-5 days to ferment.
- Drink this after every meal or once a day.
4.) Carrots to Get Rid of Diarrhea Naturally
Carrots and other foods that are rich in fiber, potassium, sodium, and salts.
- Having raw carrots in a salad is good for health.
- Also, you can prepare carrot soup at home
5.) Black Tea: An instant Remedy
It is an instant remedy to cure pain or cramps of diarrhea as it is a natural energy booster, plus adding to its benefits, it also re hydrates your body. The Astringent and Tannin present in it helps to reduce intestinal inflammation. Have a cup of black tea twice daily to treat diarrhea and stomach infection.
6.) Snacking on Yogurt Get Rid of Diarrhea Fast
Yogurt is also helpful as the live cultures, Lactobacillus, Acidophilus and Bifidobacterium that are present in it help the good bacteria in the intestine to regain its health and boosts the weakened immune system.
- Mix a pinch of salt or sugar to a cup of yogurt and have it twice daily.
- This will help to treat diarrhea.
- You can also mix some mashed potatoes as they are a friendly diet.
- Potatoes are a good binding agent and thus help bind the loosened stool and treat diarrhea fast.
7.) Peppermint to Treat Diarrhea
Talking about Peppermint, you will say that it’s a mouth freshener but do you know it also helps to cure Diarrhea and fight the bacteria causing infection in your stomach.
- All you need to do is take some peppermint springs and clean them properly.
- After which, boil them in water and brew a tea sought of thing.
- Have it twice or thrice daily for to treat diarrhea.
8.) Fenugreek Seeds to Cure Diarrhea Overnight
Fenugreek seeds contain mucilage, that is good for Diarrhea patients. It is because it helps in preventing irritation at the nerve ends and the GI tract by guarding it with a thin layer of the mucous membrane. This helps to treat diarrhea easily.
- Have them as sprouts by sprouting in a sprouted.
- You can also prepare fenugreek flour and cook it in a pan till it turns brown.
- Mix some sugar to it and stir well.
- Have this twice every morning to treat diarrhea.
9.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Diarrhea Treatment
It is known to have Antimicrobial tendencies that help in fighting the bad bacteria off. Thus helping to treat diarrhea.
- Use ACV as a salad dressing .
- You can also mix it in water with honey and a few drops of lemon.
- Start your day this drink and it will help you to treat diarrhea fast.
- Gulp a teaspoon of diluted ACV directly if you cab bear the taste.
10.) Black Seed Oil to Get Rid of Diarrhea Overnight
It is effective in treating Diarrhea and various other digestive disorders like Bloating, Constipation, Colic etc. as it has many medicinal properties that can fight off the bad bacteria.
- It is used as a cooking oil, as an alternative to your regular cooking oil.
- Avoid intake if liquids like fruit juices, but you can take the liquid and semi-liquid foods like soups, lentil and veggie stocks etc. as you like and prefer.
There are many other medications available in the market for Diarrhea patients, both prescription and non-prescription. But we would always recommend you to visit the doctor and then include any medicine in your diet, because many medicines also have various side effects that can range from mild to serious and as we all have read and heard for centuries that “Safety is Better Than Cure” So if things get serious and out of your hands, please do consult a doctor for proper guidance and treatment as required.
Further Tips to Avoid And Treat Diarrhea:
- Maintaining the percentage of water and electrolytes in the body is most important to avoid diarrhea also if and an individual is already infected with the disease, the first step is to meet the water requirements of the body.
- These electrolytes include sodium, potassium, and chlorides that our body requires.
- Patients suffering from Diarrhea should avoid fruit juices as they are high in water content and are an addition to the already existing amount of water secreted by the digestive organs, making it more severe.
- Increasing your fiber intake may help in controlling the symptoms of the disease also maintaining the fluidity of the stool by absorbing excess water.
- Avoid foods with roughage as they make the infection even more severe, since they are a bit difficult to digest due to roughage.
- Carrots are beneficial for Diarrhea patients so you can prepare care soup or cook it to a baby food consistency and have it hourly per day.