In this article, we will be talking about the remedies to treat sunburn, but let’s first get to know what sunburn is and how does it occur. We all have to commute in the sun for some or the other reasons, or some people even love enjoying the sun rays taking sun bath at the beach. But after all this fun and frolic moments when you look at your body that was exposed to the Ultraviolet rays of the sun, you are left with dark red or brown patches all over the skin and it becomes difficult to get rid of over time.
A number of over the counter treatments are available with Dermatologists that they tend to suggest when you visit them for help. But no one informs about the bad and harmful effects of these treatments that involve infrared rays beamed on your skin continuously for time until the patches are gone and this is not possible in one single sitting. An individual needs to undergo multiple sittings to treat sunburn using these treatments.
Causes of Sunburn
Those ugly patches that your skin has caught due to sunburn, is because of being exposed to the harmful rays of the sun due to the Ultraviolet rays that are harmful to the skin. It tends to damage the DNA of the skin and darkens it up to 2-3 tones than the original. These mutilations and imperfections on the skin can even lead to skin cancer.
The latest trend of getting tanned purposely is something not good at all as it is even more harmful than natural sun tanning. The Tanning Booths are UVA (Ultraviolet A rays) that are considered as tan dominant rays and are more harmful to the skin. These rays emitted by these booths are 12 times more harmful than the natural beams of sunlight. This also increases the risk of melanoma in the person those who make use of Tanning Booths or Slots that provide artificial tanning services.
Home Remedies To Treat Sunburn
Home remedies may not be as quick as other over the counter treatments and will show their results after a regular usage for a couple of days, but it surely won’t cause any long-term damage to your skin and other paste of the body.
1.) The Cabbage Therapy to Get Rid of Sunburn
Cabbage Therapy is the rarest remedy one can ever use to cure suntan and sometimes people don’t even believe that it works, but once you start using it, you will surely get the results.
- Peel off a few fresh cabbage leaves and refrigerate. Now cover your face with those leaves and rest for about 20 minutes, remove those leaves and repeat the process with new leaves.
- Follow this for a couple of days and you will see visible results, also if it is done before going out in the sun, it acts as a Sunscreen for your skin.
2.) Lime and Cucumber Juice For Sunburn
Lime is considered as a bleaching agent and thus helps in lightening the skin and cure tanning. On the other hand, cucumber has cooling properties since it is rich in water content. So it provides a soothing relief to the burnt skin.
- Apply lemon by rubbing the freshly cut slice directly on the affected area for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Mix lemon juice with honey or rose-water and apply it on the face or other affected areas. Let it sit on the skin for 10-15 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- You can also prepare Cucumber skin toner by simply preparing the juice of cucumber in the juicer and storing it in a bottle. Apply it regularly every night and do not wash. Wash your face next morning. Follow the method regularly to get desired results and a glowing tan-free
NOTE– Not everyone’s skin is lemon friendly, so you better do a patch test before applying it on your face.
3.) Potato Face Pack to Remove Sunburn
Same as lemons, potatoes also have bleaching properties, which makes them an effective tan remover. All you need to do is apply it on the skin instead of snacking on them as fries or wedges.
- Prepare a thick paste of raw potatoes in a blender and mix it with some rose-water.
- Apply it on the skin and let it sit for about half an hour, then rinse it off with cold water or a facial sponge.
- You can also cut slices of a potato and rub on the face and affected area for about 15-20 minutes then rinse it off.
4.) The ACV Remedy to Cure Sunburn
Apple Cider Vinegar is the best remedy to cure sun tan. It has properties that can cure the damage caused on the skin due to the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Dilute ACV and water in 1:2 ratio and apply regularly on your face and hands as a toner.
- The same solution can be mixed with tomato juice and applied to the skin before taking a shower.
- Let it rest on the skin for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with normal shower gel or body wash.
NOTE– Always dilute and use ACV because it has high acidic properties and can burn your skin causing serious damage.
5.) Baking Soda Scrub: An Effective Tan Removal
Again, it has bleaching properties in it which are why it is preferred for tan removal and skin lightning.
- Prepare a thick paste of baking soda with plain water and use it as a scrub on your face and skin.
- This scrub can give you quick results, but the results may vary from skin to skin.
NOTE- Not every skin is Baking Soda friendly, so please do go for a patch test or apply it somewhere other than your face and neck to avoid any bad effects.
6.) Yogurt and Gram Flour to Treat Sunburn
Yogurt has cooling properties in it and on the other hand Gram flour acts as a scrub for the skin. This is an effective remedy to treat sunburn.
- Mix or blend yogurt and gram flour together, add lemon juice if it suits your skin.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and gently scrub in circular motions.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes or until dry.
- Wash it off with warm water and a facial sponge.
- You can also apply only yogurt if gram floor is not available.
- Either you can mix some wheat flour or oatmeal to act as a scrub.
7.) Papaya Pulp Massage Therapy
Papaya has always been beneficial for various skin problems. It has bleaching properties and cooling agents that help to treat sunburn. Papaya Facials are also available in the market, but they may contain chemicals so it is better to go for a “Do It Your Self”.
- Apply Papaya pulp on the affected area and leave it for 10-15 minutes or until completely dry.
- Then rinse it off with cold water.
- This is also a quick remedy if applied continuously for a couple of days and the results may vary from skin to skin.
8.) Coconut Oil, Sugar and “Tan”
Coconut Oil has always been a proven remedy to cure sun tan and massaging it regularly may even cure those rigid dark patches, over a period of time. When mixed with sugar, it also acts as a scrub to remove dead skin and give a smooth, shiny appearance o the skin. This is a good remedy to treat sunburn over time.
- Mix coconut oil and sugar in the ratio of 3:1 and you can also combine it a few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply over face and neck and gently massage for 2-3 minutes, then wash off with cold water.
- This will help you remove the dead skin and lighten the dark patches over time.
- Pat dry your skin and do not vigorously rub your face with a towel or sponge.
9.) Red Lentil Face Pack
Red lentil is rich in bleaching properties and helps in removing sun tan. When mixed with tomato juice and Aloe Vera, they are an addition to its benefits. This helps to treat sunburn fast.
- Soak red lentils overnight in water and grind them into a thick paste.
- Mix tomato juice and Aloe Vera gel and now apply this paste to the affected areas of your body .
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash off with plain water.
- If these things are not available, then just go the lentil paste.
10.) Oatmeal Scrub: A Great Tan Removal
Oatmeal is something that is easily available at home or nearby stores. It helps in scrubbing off the dead skin and make your skin feels smooth and shiny. Thus helping to treat sunburn.
- Prepare a thick paste of oatmeal and rose-water or you can also use raw milk.
- Now apply this paste on the affected area and gently scrub for 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for a few minutes or until dry and then rinse off using a facial sponge and pat dry.
11.) Saffron and Raw Milk Gives a Glow
Saffron is used for a glowing and shiny appearance on the skin and milk helps in moisturizing the skin. So both the food items are a beneficial remedy for your skin. This will help to treat sunburn over time.
- Mix some strands of Saffron with raw milk and add some turmeric for better results.
- As turmeric has antibacterial properties so it also helps getting rid of acne if any, by killing the acne-causing
- Apply this paste on the affected areas, let it dry completely.
- Then wash it off using a facial sponge and pat dry.
- You will feel your skin softer and glow.
12.) Chickpeas and Turmeric Face Pack
Turmeric helps to add glow to the skin, thus reducing pigmentation and tan. On the other hand chickpeas floor acts as a scrubbing agent for your skin and removes the dead cells thus, helping to treat sunburn.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of chickpeas powder and a tablespoons of turmeric powder.
- Also add a tablespoon of crushed or grated orange peel and mix well.
- Now, add rose-water to make a thick paste like consistency.
- Apple this paste on your face and other tanned areas.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes then gently scrub the paste on your skin.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat the remedy once or twice daily to treat suntan and get a smooth and soft tan free skin.
The above-enlisted remedies are a cure for sunburn and other skin problems, but the results may vary from skin to skin. As these remedies are not some Witch’s spell so you need to have patience while they work up on your skin.